Patient Comments: Thrush - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with thrush.

Comment from: cmb, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I found out I was in perimenopause and almost no estrogen production. My endocrinologist put me on hormone replacement. A low dose at first then increased it double due to still too low estrogen. Within 3 months I noticed a white tongue and difficulty swallowing. I felt like something stuck in my throat. I was put on nystatin at first. It helped a little, then fluconazole for 10 days. It went 3 weeks after treatment really well, then another bout. I'm currently on 2nd round of 10 day fluconazole. I pray it works this time. I no longer take the estrogen!

Comment from: jackie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I have had thrush for about a month now and no meds are helping. My tongue is a light shade of green and it is painful, and sometimes burns. I have loose fitting dentures and have taken them out and still with my meds the thrush is not going away. I did the oral rinse twice, and am on a double dose of Fluconazole 100 mg. I have to take 2 of them once a day. I was also on a med that made me sick. It started with sufa don't remember the rest. Is anyone else having a hard time with getting rid of thrush?

Comment from: Tiredof being sick!, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

The doctor put me on levaquin 500mg for sore throat and about 5 days later i started to notice white patches in the back of my throat and on the inside of my bottom lip. It is thrush from taking the antibiotic and inhalers. It is treated with a liquid that you swish around in your mouth then you swallow it.

Comment from: KrisW, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I developed thrush after a week of steroid and antibiotic treatment for a throat infection. Yesterday, I discovered the white, uncomfortable bumps on my inner lips, tongue, and cheeks. In the past, I have used Colgate baking soda and peroxide toothpaste for sores in the mouth and brushed with it a few time during the day and at night. This morning the thrush was much improved, and tonight it is almost gone.

Comment from: emtsak877, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

My doctor gave me samples of a medication to try for my restless leg syndrome. After taking them for a week, I started to develop a slight rash on my face. I discontinued the medicine, but the next day, the rash had spread to my neck, scalp, ears, and the rest of my body. I started taking an antihistamine right away. At first I thought the rash or hives had gone into my mouth and tongue, but when I woke up with a thick white coating and painful lesions on my tongue, I figured it must be thrush. Unfortunately, I also suspect a vaginal yeast infection. Seems my body doesn't like me much right now! Naturally this is happening over a weekend when my doctor's office isn't open.

Comment from: Maggie, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 29

My baby is now 6 months old and has had thrush in his mouth for around four long months. It started by antibiotics. I treated it with Nilstat drops for three months, and it didn't change a thing! I haven't treated it for one month now, and it is still there but it's not getting any worse. I tell the doctor and she says it'll go in its own time.

Published: July 02

I'm 17 years old, and my doctor says that I may have thrush. He's gotten a second opinion and I took a throat culture and blood test to see if it really is a fungal infection. I also have asthma and I'm not to sure if its being triggered by whatever could be sprouting in the back of my throat. 4 days ago I was at the doctors because of a weird feeling in my throat and persistent mucus, but they took a strep test and it came out negative. He put me on Nasonex. I'm not sexually active and I haven't kissed anyone in quite sometime. I haven't been too stressed out either.

Published: June 30

A natural way to treat thrush in the early stages is to eat plain yogurt, holding it in your mouth for 30-60 seconds with each bite. Make sure it says "active culture" on the label. If you cannot tolerate the sour flavor, put a cup or two in a blender, and add a banana, and a little honey for flavor if necessary. A little ice makes it like a shake. Sip and hold it in your mouth with each drink. I had a camper get this where we didn't have much in the way of medical help, and we did this, plus gave the camper Acidophilus pills (Pearls is the name we used, they are good as they target the lower intestine, and are tiny so are easy to swallow). She was clear of the thrush in two days. She was taking two "Pearls", 4 times a day. This helps fight the yeast infection, and put good bacteria into your system so it does not spread to other parts of your body. One other thing we did is to take her off any white sugar and breads as these feed the yeast.

Thrush - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with thrush?