Patient Comments: Thrush - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with thrush.

Comment from: Marinawoman, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 15

My Grandmother had 17 children-my Mother is the baby (and still living at 92 yrs old). When any of the 17 children got Thrush, then my Grandmother stewed a hen and poured the broth in a pot once cooled, (put in refrigerator and fat will rise to the top) she scraped the fat from the broth, and rubbed the fat inside the mouth of the child this was repeated for several days until Thrush was gone. When I was 14 yrs old, I had Thrush. Well, Mother treated me the same way Grandmother treated all her children and it works. My Uncle was in Baptist hospital following a stroke and slept with his mouth open. Scabs formed on his tongue. My Mother got the doctor's permission to try this home remedy, using the fat of a hen (she kept a jar in the refrigerator) each trip to the hospital she rubbed the fat in my uncle's mouth and on his tongue. Within a few days all the scabs were gone, and even his lips were smooth. This really works. You may want to try it. There are healing properties in broth, so I guess that is the secret. Thanks to Grandmother

Comment from: Kenna, 7-12 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

Thrush was probably the worst mouth infection i ever had. At the time I was wrongly diagnosed with asthma and was on all these medications. I was 8 and it was Christmas time. My mom had noticed that I was starting to get white dots all over my mouth. It started on my tongue and just kept progressing until she called my aunt in Pennsylvania who is a doctor. My mom explained to her that i wouldn't eat or drink anything, not even water, because it hurt so bad i would cry. I didn't eat for at least 6 days. Mom took me to the emergency room because she didn't know what else to do. They gave me this orange liquid that really helped, but then they gave me orange pop to get rid of the nasty, bitter taste it had. Well, i started to scream it hurt so bad. They gave me more of that liquid and told my mom I had thrush. After about a week of taking that stuff my thrush went away. I am very grateful for the doctors at the Van Wert hospital.

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

I got thrush after a sudden bout of fever. It was a strange sequence of events. I kissed a boy one night and within a few hours I had a high fever of 102 degrees and was experiencing pain in my tongue. Eating and drinking things made my tongue hurt even more, and it felt like parts of my tongue were being scraped off. Then the next day, I woke up and found white spots all over the sides of my tongue, with the middle of my tongue bloody and raw-looking. I went to the doctor right away and they told me it was thrush.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

I have had the condition of what I believe is thrush for about two years, but the past three months or so it has worsened quite a bit and I now have blister like spots on the side of my tongue. It started as a swollen tongue only. It burns and I am on Nystatin per my internist for almost two weeks now with very little results. I take the medication faithfully four times a day as a mouth wash and spit out. It forms strings into the toilet bowl, both going down and coming up from the bottom. Does this sound like thrush to you and how else can I treat it? Can it come from a visit to the Dentist?

Published: July 22

I'm a healthy, active 51-year-old, but I smoke. I noticed some white bumps on the back of my tongue the other day. Upon further inspection, I noticed a green tint to my tongue. I had thought it was from a Spearmint I had just eaten, however, the green tint has lasted for a few days now. I went to a doctor and was diagnosed with thrush. I am going for blood work in a couple of days. The doctor prescribed "rest" along with the following prescriptions: Clotrimazole: 10 mg chewable tablets, five times per day. Fluconazole: 150 mg pill, one time per day for 10 days. No pain involved. I am pretty stressed at the office, so I am praying that that is all it is. I have been on the medications since last night and have noticed a reduction in the visible symptoms.

Comment from: buddy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I have had thrush for about 2 weeks. I am being treated by the doctor with Nystatin oral suspension. I do have lupus. It isn't getting better, and now I have a yeast infection vaginally.

Thrush - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with thrush?