Patient Comments: Thrush - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with thrush?

Comment from: Rob, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I had a sudden and severe sore throat one day such that it was hard to swallow or eat. It lessened in pain, but stayed sore three weeks, so I saw a doctor. He noted I"d been on antibiotics for a stomach infection and said that probably weakened my immunity to thrush. My tongue has been pretty coated lately too. I"m taking fluconazole 150 mg daily for 7 days. Doctor said that would take care of it. We shall see. Funniest thing about it: on the prescription, my gender was female. Fluconazole is used for yeast infections in women, but also for thrush. I didn"t know anyone could get that. Anyway, I'm hoping for the best. Good luck for a speedy recovery to the rest of you.

Comment from: msni, Female (Caregiver) Published: March 13

I have had a coated tongue and very bad breath for years because of thrush. I have post nasal drip and severe allergic reactions to just about anything and everything. I take probiotics and vitamins daily. I also eat yogurt and drink kefir daily. But I still seem to have the same symptoms.

Comment from: fmlthrushsucks, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I woke up one day thinking it was a sore throat and it progressed to turning my tongue white then my mouth and now there are sores on the roof of my mouth that are painful. I have never had this before and am trying home remedies hopefully it clears up soon.

Comment from: Carol, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I'm 60 and for a month now I have a burning, sore tongue. I went to the doctor and he told me it was thrush. He prescribed medication and a salve to spread on my tongue at night. It was working well and the minute I'm off the meds, I have the burning tongue.

Comment from: dawnaart, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I'm a 65 year old female who finished radiation the end of March after having chemo for non-hodkins Lymphoma. After last radiation appt. My doctor asked to look in my mouth. It was crazy. I have dry mouth from everything and now I have a green/black tongue. I've been on Ketoconazole twice and Nystatin 3 times. It's now middle of May and I feel like the fungus is in my throat and esophagus. Talked to pharmacist today and she said it takes a long time to get rid of it. Even though my cancer was behind my right ear lobe and under chin. I have fungus under big toe nails also. It's creepy and devastating. I'm losing weight as eating is awful, either food taste like tin (metallic) or food feels like it sticks in esophagus. Got through Chemo and Radiation with flying colors, so why this. Looking for a cure also.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 28

I have had thrush for nine years now (continuous). The doctor has given me every antifungal med known and nothing has worked. I have seen my dentist, with no luck. I've had all kinds of blood tests, yet nothing shows up that would weaken my immune system. The doctor did a culture, which indicated it was yeast. Let me say this it is on my tongue (thick white coating), and looks like it goes part way down my throat. My tongue burns nonstop and it looks gross. I suspect it is what caused a miscarriage. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comment from: Krystal W, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I have had thrush for 2 years now (continuous). Doctor has given me every antifungal med known and nothing. I have seen my dentist no luck. Seen ear nose and throat doc and infectious disease doc and no luck. Ran all kinds of blood test nothing shows up that would weaken my immune system. I have taken the strongest probiotics I could find and nothing. Doc did a culture and yes it was yeast. I am at my ropes end. Let me say this it is on my tongue (thick white coating) looks like it goes part way down my throat and it feels like I have food stuck in my throat all the time. Tongue burns nonstop and it looks gross. If anyone can help please do.

Thrush - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with thrush.