Patient Comments: Thrush - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with thrush?

Comment from: Hyacinth12, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I broke my elbow on December 11th after a steep fall onto rough pavement. Because some of the elbow was crushed, my arm required surgery to replace part of the elbow with a metal device. Although surgery was on December 17 and I am working every day performing exercises to strengthen my elbow as well as going to physical therapy twice weekly, I still am in a lot of pain. I am worried I am not doing things right.

Comment from: redlight, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

My tongue and the roof of my mouth are raw because of thrush.

Comment from: SteveB, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 14

On Friday I woke up with a scratchy throat, like the beginning of a cold. On Monday the sore throat remained but no cold. On day 5, Tuesday, my tongue felt like I had burned it on a hot drink. On day 7 my tongue still burned, but my throat was a bit better but still not normal. The back of my tongue was coated with a white layer. Urgent Care diagnosed my problem as a yeast infection and prescribed nystatin. I did finish a 10 day course of the antibiotic tetracycline just before the symptoms began. Fourteen days from now I will finish the nystatin. I hope it works.

Comment from: Rob, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I had a sudden and severe sore throat one day such that it was hard to swallow or eat. It lessened in pain, but stayed sore three weeks, so I saw a doctor. He noted I"d been on antibiotics for a stomach infection and said that probably weakened my immunity to thrush. My tongue has been pretty coated lately too. I"m taking fluconazole 150 mg daily for 7 days. Doctor said that would take care of it. We shall see. Funniest thing about it: on the prescription, my gender was female. Fluconazole is used for yeast infections in women, but also for thrush. I didn"t know anyone could get that. Anyway, I'm hoping for the best. Good luck for a speedy recovery to the rest of you.

Comment from: msni, Female (Caregiver) Published: March 13

I have had a coated tongue and very bad breath for years because of thrush. I have post nasal drip and severe allergic reactions to just about anything and everything. I take probiotics and vitamins daily. I also eat yogurt and drink kefir daily. But I still seem to have the same symptoms.

Comment from: fmlthrushsucks, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I woke up one day thinking it was a sore throat and it progressed to turning my tongue white then my mouth and now there are sores on the roof of my mouth that are painful. I have never had this before and am trying home remedies hopefully it clears up soon.

Comment from: Carol, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I'm 60 and for a month now I have a burning, sore tongue. I went to the doctor and he told me it was thrush. He prescribed medication and a salve to spread on my tongue at night. It was working well and the minute I'm off the meds, I have the burning tongue.

Comment from: dawnaart, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I'm a 65 year old female who finished radiation the end of March after having chemo for non-hodkins Lymphoma. After last radiation appt. My doctor asked to look in my mouth. It was crazy. I have dry mouth from everything and now I have a green/black tongue. I've been on Ketoconazole twice and Nystatin 3 times. It's now middle of May and I feel like the fungus is in my throat and esophagus. Talked to pharmacist today and she said it takes a long time to get rid of it. Even though my cancer was behind my right ear lobe and under chin. I have fungus under big toe nails also. It's creepy and devastating. I'm losing weight as eating is awful, either food taste like tin (metallic) or food feels like it sticks in esophagus. Got through Chemo and Radiation with flying colors, so why this. Looking for a cure also.

Thrush - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with thrush.