Patient Comments: Thrush - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with thrush?

Comment from: desert flower, Published: May 13

Before retiring I was a college professor. I have suffered from IBS-D (irritable bowel syndrome with diarrhea) over 20 years. The foods that trigger my IBS (beginning with the first ones and evolving) have been as follows: caffeinated coffee, bacon, bran, oats, many fruits, chocolate and most nuts. Magnesium has also contributed. Other fiber foods are also problematic. For 19 years, to control the diarrhea, I started with one Imodium and progressed to 13 per day. This drug is no longer helpful. Recently I have tried two of the new drugs but the side effects are difficult to deal with. One makes me tired; the other causes confusion. Neither creates normal stools. I'm currently taking Viberzi (costs taxpayer's USD 60.00 per day).

Comment from: Merv, 55-64 Female Published: May 11

I had a bone marrow biopsy taken from the hip, two days ago, and diagnosed with Erdheim Chester disease. I always thought I had a high tolerance to pain. But I found this procedure was extremely painful.

Comment from: rich, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 22

I had surgery on my finger in January and a week later I got a bad sore throat. I went to the doctor and she gave me 500 mg dose of amoxicillin three times a day for seven days. After taking all of the antibiotic I noticed my tongue had a whitish look and on the inside of my right cheek was a patch that looked like cottage cheese. I went back to the doctor and she gave me a prescription for nystatin. I've been on it for ten days now and my thrush is getting no better. I have to ask someone if this thrush could be caused by my surgery on my finger, the antibiotics or both.

Comment from: Hyacinth12, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I broke my elbow on December 11th after a steep fall onto rough pavement. Because some of the elbow was crushed, my arm required surgery to replace part of the elbow with a metal device. Although surgery was on December 17 and I am working every day performing exercises to strengthen my elbow as well as going to physical therapy twice weekly, I still am in a lot of pain. I am worried I am not doing things right.

Comment from: redlight, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

My tongue and the roof of my mouth are raw because of thrush.

Comment from: SteveB, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 14

On Friday I woke up with a scratchy throat, like the beginning of a cold. On Monday the sore throat remained but no cold. On day 5, Tuesday, my tongue felt like I had burned it on a hot drink. On day 7 my tongue still burned, but my throat was a bit better but still not normal. The back of my tongue was coated with a white layer. Urgent Care diagnosed my problem as a yeast infection and prescribed nystatin. I did finish a 10 day course of the antibiotic tetracycline just before the symptoms began. Fourteen days from now I will finish the nystatin. I hope it works.

Comment from: Rob, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I had a sudden and severe sore throat one day such that it was hard to swallow or eat. It lessened in pain, but stayed sore three weeks, so I saw a doctor. He noted I"d been on antibiotics for a stomach infection and said that probably weakened my immunity to thrush. My tongue has been pretty coated lately too. I"m taking fluconazole 150 mg daily for 7 days. Doctor said that would take care of it. We shall see. Funniest thing about it: on the prescription, my gender was female. Fluconazole is used for yeast infections in women, but also for thrush. I didn"t know anyone could get that. Anyway, I'm hoping for the best. Good luck for a speedy recovery to the rest of you.

Thrush - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with thrush.