Patient Comments: Thrush - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with thrush?

Comment from: rich, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 22

I had surgery on my finger in January and a week later I got a bad sore throat. I went to the doctor and she gave me 500 mg dose of amoxicillin three times a day for seven days. After taking all of the antibiotic I noticed my tongue had a whitish look and on the inside of my right cheek was a patch that looked like cottage cheese. I went back to the doctor and she gave me a prescription for nystatin. I've been on it for ten days now and my thrush is getting no better. I have to ask someone if this thrush could be caused by my surgery on my finger, the antibiotics or both.

Comment from: Hyacinth12, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I broke my elbow on December 11th after a steep fall onto rough pavement. Because some of the elbow was crushed, my arm required surgery to replace part of the elbow with a metal device. Although surgery was on December 17 and I am working every day performing exercises to strengthen my elbow as well as going to physical therapy twice weekly, I still am in a lot of pain. I am worried I am not doing things right.

Comment from: redlight, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

My tongue and the roof of my mouth are raw because of thrush.

Comment from: SteveB, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 14

On Friday I woke up with a scratchy throat, like the beginning of a cold. On Monday the sore throat remained but no cold. On day 5, Tuesday, my tongue felt like I had burned it on a hot drink. On day 7 my tongue still burned, but my throat was a bit better but still not normal. The back of my tongue was coated with a white layer. Urgent Care diagnosed my problem as a yeast infection and prescribed nystatin. I did finish a 10 day course of the antibiotic tetracycline just before the symptoms began. Fourteen days from now I will finish the nystatin. I hope it works.

Comment from: Rob, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I had a sudden and severe sore throat one day such that it was hard to swallow or eat. It lessened in pain, but stayed sore three weeks, so I saw a doctor. He noted I"d been on antibiotics for a stomach infection and said that probably weakened my immunity to thrush. My tongue has been pretty coated lately too. I"m taking fluconazole 150 mg daily for 7 days. Doctor said that would take care of it. We shall see. Funniest thing about it: on the prescription, my gender was female. Fluconazole is used for yeast infections in women, but also for thrush. I didn"t know anyone could get that. Anyway, I'm hoping for the best. Good luck for a speedy recovery to the rest of you.

Comment from: msni, Female (Caregiver) Published: March 13

I have had a coated tongue and very bad breath for years because of thrush. I have post nasal drip and severe allergic reactions to just about anything and everything. I take probiotics and vitamins daily. I also eat yogurt and drink kefir daily. But I still seem to have the same symptoms.

Comment from: fmlthrushsucks, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I woke up one day thinking it was a sore throat and it progressed to turning my tongue white then my mouth and now there are sores on the roof of my mouth that are painful. I have never had this before and am trying home remedies hopefully it clears up soon.

Comment from: Carol, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I'm 60 and for a month now I have a burning, sore tongue. I went to the doctor and he told me it was thrush. He prescribed medication and a salve to spread on my tongue at night. It was working well and the minute I'm off the meds, I have the burning tongue.

Thrush - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with thrush.