Patient Comments: Thrush - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with thrush?

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 28

I have had thrush for nine years now (continuous). The doctor has given me every antifungal med known and nothing has worked. I have seen my dentist, with no luck. I've had all kinds of blood tests, yet nothing shows up that would weaken my immune system. The doctor did a culture, which indicated it was yeast. Let me say this it is on my tongue (thick white coating), and looks like it goes part way down my throat. My tongue burns nonstop and it looks gross. I suspect it is what caused a miscarriage. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comment from: gail, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 26

I have a teenager on Accutane and he has developed thrush. I have been watching for the dryness to begin knowing the side effects, I wish someone would have warned me that the dryness would start on the inside. I finally got him the help he needed, we both thought his mouth was sore from wisdom teeth, but he dried up so fast he developed thrush.

Comment from: Cindy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

This is the second time I have had Thrush. It started with a small sore spot around a tooth which I thought that I just brushed too hard. During the night it spread to the top of my mouth and along the side of my tongue. The first time this happened, I was traveling and it was impossible to see a Doctor, so I went to a local Herbal medicine shop and looked up a treatment. They suggested rinsing your mouth out with Soda Water! Since this was easy and the least expensive route...I tried it. The pain and soreness went away almost immediately! Soda water doesn't taste very good, BUT it's better than taking another antibiotic! The symptoms go away after rinsing every couple of hours for a day or two. How easy is that!

Comment from: dls57, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

My thrush began 18 months ago. After a few weeks it seemed to stop. Almost immediately lesions and bleeding started. My mouth was so sore I gave up all fruit and some vegetables. I was down to cream of wheat for a long time. My specialist did a biopsy to rule out cancer. He doesn't understand why it won't heal, as usually it is a few weeks. It is not as bad as it was, but for the last week I have had extremely red and burning skin around my lips. It is quite painful not like chapped lips, but I'm afraid it is spreading.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I experienced what I thought as chapped lips which then went to the sides of my mouth. Nothing helped. The dryness started to cover both sides of my mouth, very red, like chapped lips. I saw my doctor for something else and asked him. He said it was from a yeast infection. He prescribed an ointment which made it worse. He has now prescribed an oral medication.

Comment from: wheezy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

My thrush went to my lungs and caused a lot of slimy mucus. I coughed and wheezed. Nothing helped until the doctors put me on a medication called "nizoral" for 30 days. The test to find this is a small piece of tissue has to be removed and tested. I went through 8 months of hell before the proper diagnosis was found.

Comment from: Seagull, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 24

In the morning I have only one line coating in back of my mouth. Sometimes it's there sometimes it's not. Only occurs in the same place.

Comment from: pdwheel1, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

Light pain and irritation on my tongue. Felt like fruit or something was stuck to it and I tried to wipe it off before I finally looked at my tongue. Roof of my mouth is also irritated. Thought I had canker sore.

Thrush - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with thrush.