Patient Comments: Thrush - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with thrush?

Comment from: wheezy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

My thrush went to my lungs and caused a lot of slimy mucus. I coughed and wheezed. Nothing helped until the doctors put me on a medication called "nizoral" for 30 days. The test to find this is a small piece of tissue has to be removed and tested. I went through 8 months of hell before the proper diagnosis was found.

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

Thrush is a very odd infection to have. I currently have it and my tongue is constantly hurting and I had white bumps in the back and roof of my mouth, I was put on Nystatin and the dots are gone after only 1 day of having the medication. If your tongue and throat hurt a lot during the time you have thrush try taking an Advil because it helped the pain. I have no idea how I got it because I'm a healthy and active teen, it may be possible to get it from a pool, because the day before I noticed the symptoms I was teaching my baby cousins how to swim.

Comment from: Seagull, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 24

In the morning I have only one line coating in back of my mouth. Sometimes it's there sometimes it's not. Only occurs in the same place.

Comment from: pdwheel1, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

Light pain and irritation on my tongue. Felt like fruit or something was stuck to it and I tried to wipe it off before I finally looked at my tongue. Roof of my mouth is also irritated. Thought I had canker sore.

Comment from: Ashes, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

The thrush symptoms started with a scalded tongue feeling even though I had not burnt my tongue, lasted over a week, than a sore in corner of mouth and sores on sides. I am a 24 year old female.

Comment from: Ms. C in Cali, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

Awoke with a scratchy throat. Starting having problems with swallowing, just thought it was a simple sore throat from sinus drainage in my sleep. Discovered it was my tongue that had sore spots at back while brushing teeth & scraping tongue. I have been on two different antibiotics for almost 14 days to treat a stomach infection. Contacted primary doctor and was diagnosed with thrush as a result of the medicine. 2nd day on Nystatin. This is painful to swallow and my neck and ears hurt. Taking tylenol for the pain. Hope this goes away soon.

Comment from: Minnie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I am a middle age woman who has systemic lupus and sjogrens disease. Having upper respiratory infection, an antibiotic was prescribed and the rheumatologist said it would probably cause a yeast infection. I had a bad yeast infection that he prescribed for the previous visit. I took Fluconazole 100mg both times. After the respiratory infection subsided, I was diagnosed with a bladder infection by an ER physician who prescribed another antibiotic. I also have a yeast infection and am on Fluconazole.

Comment from: Frederique, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

I just had a lung surgery, and developed a thrush, best treatment ever, half of peroxide (3%) and half of warm water used as a mouthwash for 1-2 mins, spit it, rinse with water. I did that twice the first day and already the day after half of the thrush is gone, when I was at the hospital they gave me antifungal medication for 2 days, trust me it's useless it didn't work, I believe in the old school remedy.

Comment from: minnyme1980, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

My thrush started with a very sore throat. I just thought, "It's that time of year, you're bound to get a cold," but the soreness spread to my tongue and I found it very difficult to eat or drink as my entire mouth felt swollen. I noticed that I was producing more saliva than normal so I did not wait any longer. I went to my GP who diagnosed me with a servere throat infection and explained that because I had this infection, the thrush had also developed. I was prescribed nystantin which I am still taking now. So far, so good, on top of phenoxymethyl penicillin for my throat.

Thrush - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with thrush.