Patient Comments: Thrush - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with thrush?

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

I am 26 years old and have had thrush mouth several times over the last few years. The worst it ever got was a few months ago and it seemed to last for weeks. My doc prescribed me nystatin and magic mouthwash for the pain. I just got put on a strong antibiotic and it's back again but this time it feels like it's in my throat and chest also. My tongue really burns and it feels hard to breathe almost like really bad heartburn i keep swishing with the nystatin but it doesn't want to go away. I will be seeing the doc again soon if the symptoms don't get better.

Comment from: Bleck, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I'm a 17 year old female and I experienced a real scare a couple nights ago when I found bumps on my tongue and white gunk all over it. I'm sexually active and I was scared it might have been an STD. After long hours of researching I came to find out it was Thrush. Here I was thinking only babies got Thrush. I found out it can occur at any age. I go to the doctor tomorrow to get medicine and treated. It's nothing to freak out about just make sure you go to the doctor so it will not spread to other areas.

Comment from: gail, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 26

I have a teenager on Accutane and he has developed thrush. I have been watching for the dryness to begin knowing the side effects, I wish someone would have warned me that the dryness would start on the inside. I finally got him the help he needed, we both thought his mouth was sore from wisdom teeth, but he dried up so fast he developed thrush.

Comment from: Cindy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

This is the second time I have had Thrush. It started with a small sore spot around a tooth which I thought that I just brushed too hard. During the night it spread to the top of my mouth and along the side of my tongue. The first time this happened, I was traveling and it was impossible to see a Doctor, so I went to a local Herbal medicine shop and looked up a treatment. They suggested rinsing your mouth out with Soda Water! Since this was easy and the least expensive route...I tried it. The pain and soreness went away almost immediately! Soda water doesn't taste very good, BUT it's better than taking another antibiotic! The symptoms go away after rinsing every couple of hours for a day or two. How easy is that!

Comment from: dls57, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

My thrush began 18 months ago. After a few weeks it seemed to stop. Almost immediately lesions and bleeding started. My mouth was so sore I gave up all fruit and some vegetables. I was down to cream of wheat for a long time. My specialist did a biopsy to rule out cancer. He doesn't understand why it won't heal, as usually it is a few weeks. It is not as bad as it was, but for the last week I have had extremely red and burning skin around my lips. It is quite painful not like chapped lips, but I'm afraid it is spreading.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I experienced what I thought as chapped lips which then went to the sides of my mouth. Nothing helped. The dryness started to cover both sides of my mouth, very red, like chapped lips. I saw my doctor for something else and asked him. He said it was from a yeast infection. He prescribed an ointment which made it worse. He has now prescribed an oral medication.

Comment from: help, 55-64 Female Published: October 24

Is there a home remedy for Thrush. Since I took an antibiotic after having denture post put in I have had thrush for 6mo. I have prescribed pill(I took everyone), Nystatin 3 times. The corners of my mouth is soooo sore, cracked and constantly red. I have tried monistat on the out side of my mouth. I have dentures and my gums are constantly very, very sore. I don't know what else to do. Please help!

Thrush - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with thrush.