Thrush (Oral Candidiasis)
Table of Contents
Are there home remedies for thrush?
Home remedies for thrush are aimed at decreasing risk factors for thrush as well as preventing overgrowth of Candida yeast.
- Brush the teeth with a soft toothbrush.
- Rinse the mouth with a diluted 3% hydrogen peroxide solution.
- Rinse the mouth with warm saltwater.
- Avoid mouthwash as it can alter the normal flora of the mouth.
- Keep dentures clean and see a dentist if they do not fit correctly.
- Eat unsweetened yogurt while taking antibiotics.
- Lactobacillus acidophilus supplements may help maintain a healthy balance of Candida.
Home remedies that may reduce the discomfort of thrush include
- drinking cold liquids, or eating frozen or ice treats;
- eating soft, easy-to-swallow foods;
- drinking from a straw if the patches are painful.
Gentian violet (1%) is an over-the-counter natural treatment that sometimes works as a home remedy for thrush. It is a dye that kills bacteria and fungi, and it is available without a prescription. Talk to a doctor before using gentian violet. Grapefruit seed extract is sometimes used by nursing mothers who have developed thrush of the nipples. It can be applied topically (on the skin) or taken orally. Consult a doctor before using this or any supplement. Continue Reading