Table of Contents
- Thrush facts
- What is thrush?
- What causes thrush?
- What are risk factors for thrush?
- What are thrush symptoms and signs?
- How do physicians diagnose thrush?
- What is the treatment for thrush?
- Are there home remedies for thrush?
- What types of doctors treat oral thrush?
- What is the prognosis of thrush?
- Is it possible to prevent thrush?
Quick GuideDental Health: Top Problems in Your Mouth
What causes thrush?
An overgrowth of the Candida fungus in the mouth or throat is what causes thrush. This overgrowth may be triggered to occur when the person experiences changes such as illness, pregnancy, new medications, or changes in the immune system.
Thrush in infants and newborns is relatively common and is only a concern if it causes poor feeding or is associated with weight loss or other symptoms of systemic illness. Consult a pediatrician if thrush in an infant lasts more than a couple of weeks. Continue Reading
American Dental Association. "Burning Mouth Syndrome." JADA 136 August 2005: 1191. <http://www.ada.org/~/media/ADA/Publications/Files/patient_53.pdf?la=en>.
Kumar, Mudra. "Thrush." Medscape.com. June 17, 2015. <http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/969147-overview>.
Newman, Jack. "Grapefruit Seed Extract for Treatment of Thrush." Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation. Jan. 2005. <http://www.canadianbreastfeedingfoundation.org/basics/grapefruit_seed.shtml>.
Pammi, Mohan. "Treatment of Candida Infection in Neonates." UpToDate.com. February 2016. <http://www.uptodate.com/contents/treatment-of-candida-infection-in-neonates?source=search_result&search=thrush+newborn&selectedTitle=1~150>.
Tonn, Elverne M., ed. "Dental Health and Thrush." WebMD.com. May 8, 2012. <http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/guide/dental-health-thrush>.
United States. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "Oral Candidiasis." Mar. 25, 2013. <http://www.cdc.gov/fungal/candidiasis/thrush/>.
1. Getty Images
2. Watney Collection/Phototake, Color Atlas & Synopsis of Pediatric Dermatology Kay Shou-Mei Kane, Peter A. Lio, Alexander J. Stratigos, Richard Allen Johnson Copyright 2009 by The McGraw-Hill Companies. All rights reserved.
3. Y. Tambe, CDC/ Dr. William Kaplan
4. Bigstock, iStock
5. Fitzpatrick's Color Atlas & Synopsis of Clinical Dermatology”; Klaus Wolff, Richard Allen Johnson, Dick Suurmond; Copyright 2009 by The McGraw-Hill Companies. All Rights reserved, James Heilman, MD, CDC - Sol Silverman, Jr., D.D.S.
8. Bigstock, iStock
9. Getty Images
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Newsletters
Get the latest health and medical information delivered direct to your inbox!