Table of Contents
- Thrush facts
- What is thrush?
- What causes thrush?
- What are risk factors for thrush?
- What are thrush symptoms and signs?
- How do physicians diagnose thrush?
- What is the treatment for thrush?
- Are there home remedies for thrush?
- What types of doctors treat oral thrush?
- What is the prognosis of thrush?
- Is it possible to prevent thrush?
Quick GuideDental Health: Top Problems in Your Mouth
What is thrush?
Thrush (oropharyngeal candidiasis) is a medical condition in which a fungus called Candida overgrows in the mouth and throat. Candida is normally present in the mouth, digestive tract, and skin of most healthy people. The immune system and the body's normal bacteria usually keep Candida in balance. When this balance is interrupted, it can result in an overgrowth of the Candida fungus, causing thrush, a yeast infection of the mouth or throat.
Thrush is not the same as a vaginal yeast infection. However, the Candida fungus also causes diaper rash, but diaper rash occurs on a child's rear end, genitals, and inner thighs, while oral thrush occurs in the mouth and throat. Continue Reading
American Dental Association. "Burning Mouth Syndrome." JADA 136 August 2005: 1191. <http://www.ada.org/~/media/ADA/Publications/Files/patient_53.pdf?la=en>.
Kumar, Mudra. "Thrush." Medscape.com. June 17, 2015. <http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/969147-overview>.
Newman, Jack. "Grapefruit Seed Extract for Treatment of Thrush." Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation. Jan. 2005. <http://www.canadianbreastfeedingfoundation.org/basics/grapefruit_seed.shtml>.
Pammi, Mohan. "Treatment of Candida Infection in Neonates." UpToDate.com. February 2016. <http://www.uptodate.com/contents/treatment-of-candida-infection-in-neonates?source=search_result&search=thrush+newborn&selectedTitle=1~150>.
Tonn, Elverne M., ed. "Dental Health and Thrush." WebMD.com. May 8, 2012. <http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/guide/dental-health-thrush>.
United States. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "Oral Candidiasis." Mar. 25, 2013. <http://www.cdc.gov/fungal/candidiasis/thrush/>.
1. Getty Images
2. Watney Collection/Phototake, Color Atlas & Synopsis of Pediatric Dermatology Kay Shou-Mei Kane, Peter A. Lio, Alexander J. Stratigos, Richard Allen Johnson Copyright 2009 by The McGraw-Hill Companies. All rights reserved.
3. Y. Tambe, CDC/ Dr. William Kaplan
4. Bigstock, iStock
5. Fitzpatrick's Color Atlas & Synopsis of Clinical Dermatology”; Klaus Wolff, Richard Allen Johnson, Dick Suurmond; Copyright 2009 by The McGraw-Hill Companies. All Rights reserved, James Heilman, MD, CDC - Sol Silverman, Jr., D.D.S.
8. Bigstock, iStock
9. Getty Images
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Newsletters
Get the latest health and medical information delivered direct to your inbox!