Thrush (Oral Candidiasis)
Table of Contents
Is it possible to prevent thrush?
Thrush can be easily prevented in healthy adults by modifying risk factors that contribute to Candida fungus overgrowth.
Risk factor modifications for prevention of thrush include the following:
- Brush and floss teeth and gums regularly, and maintain proper oral hygiene.
- See a dentist regularly.
- Make sure dentures are clean, properly maintained, and fit well.
- Keep diabetes under control.
- Quit smoking.
- Eat a balanced, healthy diet low in sugar and yeast.
- Limit use of antibiotics. Only use as prescribed by a physician.
To prevent thrush in babies or nursing infants, keep pacifiers and bottle nipples clean and sterilized. Nursing mothers should discuss the use of any over-the-counter or prescribed medications with their doctor before breastfeeding as some medications may increase the risk of causing thrush.