Patient Comments: Thrombocytopenia (Low Platelet Count) - Treatment

What kinds of treatment did you receive for thrombocytopenia?

Comment from: peg, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 03

I have a 4.2 white blood count and the platelets 138. Diagnosis is thrombocytopenia. I have just some bruising. Surgery on esophagus was in 2013. I'm taking Evista and Synthroid. They cannot figure the cause, so I'm going to a hematologist. I have a very small liver cyst, for a number of years. I will revisit the doctor in one year.

Comment from: Just Nancy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I have had Chronic ITP (immune thrombocytopenic purpura) for 20 years. I got it when I was in my late 40s. I have been through all the treatments, transfusions, IVIG (intravenous immunoglobulin), prednisone, I am now on Promacta 75 Mg. It seems to be working well, I have not had to have any infusions since I have been on it, about a year now. My normal platelet count with Promacta usually stays in the range of 65000 to 100000. The lowest they got was 2000 before I was on the Promacta. My platelet count has always dropped when I get a virus (cold, flu, etc.). Now they only go down to about 36000. No other treatment needed unless they drop to below 10000

Comment from: frank, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 17

I have had thrombocytopenia for 6 years. One of the side effects of shark liver oil is an increase in platelet count, one 500 mg capsule 3 times a day with 5000 mg of vitamin C will stop the decline in platelets.

Comment from: Makhula, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 15

My wife was admitted to the hospital on 06 June 15 due to low platelet (thrombocytopenia) and as of yesterday (12 June 15) her platelets were 8. She's not well at all, confused, irritable and having a headache. She received 2 blood transfusions in the past 5 days but with no improvement. She is treated by a physician but I am not sure if I must get a second opinion.

Thrombocytopenia - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with Thrombocytopenia.
Thrombocytopenia (Low Platelet Count) - Causes Question: What was the cause of your thrombocytopenia?
Thrombocytopenia (Low Platelet Count) - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with a low platelet count?
Thrombocytopenia (Low Platelet Count) - Diagnosis Question: What tests and exams did you receive that led to a diagnosis of thrombocytopenia?