Patient Comments: Thrombocytopenia (Low Platelet Count) - Causes

What was the cause of your thrombocytopenia?

Comment from: DGPickett, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 25

A tick gave me babesiosis and my platelet count dropped to 30K but antibiotics quickly reversed the thrombocytopenia. I also had fever and chills. Luckily, the Babesia colonies are visible under a normal microscope and are 100 percent treatable.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 08

I went to the emergency room (ER) with kidney stones and found to have thrombocytopenia, a platelet count of 13. I was admitted to hospital and the platelets went down to 12 overnight. I was kept in the hospital and given 4 platelet transfusions to get my levels up to 35 so I could have an axillary lymph node biopsy (worried about bleeding if levels weren't raised), as I had enlarged lymph nodes axillary, inguinal, and in abdomen. I was discharged after surgery. Follow up with hematologist explained that biopsy normal and my platelet level had dropped back to 25. I was started on 120 mg of prednisone daily to lower my immune system to stop my body from killing my platelets. Prednisone worked for about 8 days raising my level to 102. Almost immediately I started having some side effects from the prednisone. Then my levels dropped to 62. I had my 1st Rituxan infusion and will get platelets rechecked tomorrow. I am currently on 2 steroids which is less than ideal. With prednisone I developed facial swelling, insomnia, mood swings, and severe abdominal pain. The day after the Rituxan infusion I developed lower extremity weakness and swelling. I fell and cut up my feet and knees due weakness (thank goodness, I didn't bleed profusely). If my platelets levels are rising tomorrow I can wean off of the prednisone. So thankful that I have an amazing hematologist that has explained every step of the process, and the possible next steps (spleen removal). Just super frustrated with the Idiopathic part of the diagnosis. I have a history of kidney stones, but other than that no medical history (personal or family). As I currently work in Healthcare I have not been able to work due to my lowered immune system. This experience has made me appreciate my good health, and be thankful that have a diagnosis that is manageable with medications and lifestyle changes. It can always be worse. Stay positive!

Comment from: komal, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I have been suffering from low platelets count (thrombocytopenia) since 1 year. I was taking acne medicine (isotretinoin). I think this medicine has damaged my bones. Please don't use this medicine.

Comment from: Rabbitlady, 45-54 (Patient) Published: November 08

I had a splenectomy done to me in 2010 in February. I had low platelets and I went as drastically low as 8000 platelets per microliter. I was taking an anticonvulsant named Trileptal. That medication is Tegretol's sister. I always had low white cells with Tegretol and then low platelets with the other. The hematologist wasn't listening to me when I told him that I thought if my medication got changed then that should stop but he didn't listen and I ended up with having a splenectomy. And now I have no spleen for the last 3 1/2 years. So I think my cause were those anticonvulsants, in this case Trileptal.

Comment from: DNJ, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 16

My Platelet Count has been low since a year. It moved in the range of 80 to 110. Recently I came to know through different websites that a herb called Gingko Biloba reduces the platelet counts. I have been taking Gingko Biloba tablets (high doses) to improve my memory since the last ten years or more. My hematologist too asked me to stop taking Gingko tablets and asked me to get my platelet counts done after a fortnight. Hopefully the platelet counts would increase.

Thrombocytopenia - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with Thrombocytopenia.
Thrombocytopenia (Low Platelet Count) - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with a low platelet count?
Thrombocytopenia (Low Platelet Count) - Diagnosis Question: What tests and exams did you receive that led to a diagnosis of thrombocytopenia?
Thrombocytopenia (Low Platelet Count) - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment did you receive for thrombocytopenia?