Patient Comments: Thrombocytopenia (Low Platelet Count) - Causes

What was the cause of your thrombocytopenia?

Comment from: Rabbitlady, 45-54 (Patient) Published: November 08

I had a splenectomy done to me in 2010 in February. I had low platelets and I went as drastically low as 8000 platelets per microliter. I was taking an anticonvulsant named Trileptal. That medication is Tegretol's sister. I always had low white cells with Tegretol and then low platelets with the other. The hematologist wasn't listening to me when I told him that I thought if my medication got changed then that should stop but he didn't listen and I ended up with having a splenectomy. And now I have no spleen for the last 3 1/2 years. So I think my cause were those anticonvulsants, in this case Trileptal.

Comment from: DNJ, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 16

My Platelet Count has been low since a year. It moved in the range of 80 to 110. Recently I came to know through different websites that a herb called Gingko Biloba reduces the platelet counts. I have been taking Gingko Biloba tablets (high doses) to improve my memory since the last ten years or more. My hematologist too asked me to stop taking Gingko tablets and asked me to get my platelet counts done after a fortnight. Hopefully the platelet counts would increase.

Thrombocytopenia - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with Thrombocytopenia.
Thrombocytopenia (Low Platelet Count) - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with a low platelet count?
Thrombocytopenia (Low Platelet Count) - Diagnosis Question: What tests and exams did you receive that led to a diagnosis of thrombocytopenia?
Thrombocytopenia (Low Platelet Count) - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment did you receive for thrombocytopenia?