Patient Comments: Thrombocytopenia - Describe Your Experience

Question:Please describe your experience with Thrombocytopenia.

Comment from: Anti, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

In 1991 I had to have a cervical discectomy of C5 to C7. During the surgery the chief resident said for some reason I somehow lost 3 liters of blood (1 pint less than your total blood volume). Prior to making the incision in my neck they removed the bone graft for the fusion. At that time they put my head in a halo to stabilize my neck for the time being. Ironically, they threw my graft away admitting they really were losing me and there was not much sense saving it. Well, thank goodness I did make it. They put me in ICU on Christmas Eve. I was 34 years old then. Last year at the left halo site all my skin fell off the hole and I pulled out a V shaped piece of stitching. This year again on the left side I get large eruptions that are full of thick, white matter. Below is a very tight stitch that is connected very tightly to both ends. My doctor has cut one of them but as of today I have cut 37 stitches all over the left side of my head. My question is why they would stitch in this manner and why it would take 25 years to erupt.

Comment from: MomandDaughter, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 09

My daughter has had a low platelet count since birth and now she is 27 years old with no major problems caused by her thrombocytopenia. They've tried steroids to bump them up and within 48 hours her platelets were back under 10000. She's tried chemotherapy and it didn't work and she's tried platelet transfusion from 10 different donors and with 48 hours those were rejected by her own body. Your body looks at this as a foreign object and destroys platelets. One observation over the last 27 years is that her platelets have been consistently below 10000. She was born with low platelet recognized by pediatrician in hospital, petechia on back, as a young child the highest her platelets ever got were 45000, now today at age 27 they are consistently between 2000 and 8000. Steroids, chemotherapy, transfusion, nothing worked. Bone marrow biopsies determined they are made, she has young plump platelets which is good, but very few.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 15

Inadvertently I discovered low platelet count (thrombocytopenia) when I went in for a shoulder repair surgery. Count was 82. I have many medical issues, off most medicines for two weeks in preparation for surgery. Surgery canceled now, I am scheduled for a workup with a hematologist.

Comment from: Ania, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I've always bruised easily but this October 2013, I've noticed the bruises literally would appear out of nowhere, huge and really dark and would stay on for weeks. I began to look like an abused woman so got a CBC (complete blood count) done and discovered my platelet count was 11,000. It later fell to 10,000 when I finally went to the emergency room two days later and by then I had developed the petechiae as well. I did not bleed at all at any time. They've run tests for known infections to determine if that was causing my thrombocytopenia and I guess by elimination I was diagnosed with ITP (idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura) and put on 90mg of prednisone. I have responded very quickly, going up to 58 in 3 days and 114 within a week, so my doctor has lowered my levels to 60, then 40, 30 and just today (Dec. 10) to 20mg - my platelets have been at around 220-240 the whole time, so we are looking at continuing to take me off it in the next 3-4 weeks. As many of you know, it is imperative to wean off slowly as the natural production of corticosteroids is essentially stopped when on oral steroids and the body needs time to kick back in. Really hoping to be in the 50% that never have remission, because I would hate to be on steroids for extended time. I've also been diagnosed with severe anemia so have been on high dose of iron and not sure if it is the iron or the steroids or both, but it really increased my energy levels and I actually lost weight. I have certainly gained a new appreciation for people who "don't look sick."

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 18

My daughter was just diagnosed with low platelets (thrombocytopenia). She had this for the first time a year ago, just by way of a physical and CBC done. No sickness, bleeding, spots or anything and her count was 14. They did a transfusion immediately and her count rose a little and they started her on a low dose of prednisone. Months later her platelet levels began to rise. So no treatment was further needed. Eleven months later, two weeks ago, she had a nose bleed for about 4 hours which led us up in the emergency room, her platelet count was down to a 9, they did a transfusion, a week later the count was up to 69, and now today two weeks after the transfusion her levels have dropped to a 49. She has no symptoms, no sickness, no real noticeable tiredness. This is really strange. She played a weekend of basketball and that Monday found out her platelets were 14. This is scary that she has no signs. They have given her no medicine, no nothing, just keeping track of her levels weekly.

Comment from: MGV, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 25

My wife (28 years old) is affected by thrombocytopenia. Before 12 days she had only 22000 platelets and the Hb was 3 gm. After the 5 days treatment she had Hb 10.4 gm and 64000 platelets. She need to increase the platelets level to above 150000.

Thrombocytopenia (Low Platelet Count) - Causes Question: What was the cause of your thrombocytopenia?
Thrombocytopenia (Low Platelet Count) - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with a low platelet count?
Thrombocytopenia (Low Platelet Count) - Diagnosis Question: What tests and exams did you receive that led to a diagnosis of thrombocytopenia?
Thrombocytopenia (Low Platelet Count) - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment did you receive for thrombocytopenia?