Patient Comments: Thrombocytopenia - Describe Your Experience

Question:Please describe your experience with Thrombocytopenia.

Comment from: Fabulana, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 07

I was diagnosed in 2000 at the age of 17. I was fatigued and had blue marks all over. My platelet count was 2 000 and I was hospitalized. I was on 60 mg prednisone for 6 months but didn't see much of an improvement, I then had a splenectomy and was weaned off the prednisone. my platelets were fine but dipped during my pregnancies, but not lower than 80 000. It has been stable at over 300 000 for a while.

Comment from: junejohn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I was diagnosed with thrombocytopenia in1997. They were 80,000. They have been 80,000 for a long time. My bone marrow is normal; all tests are normal. I am just tired, but I work shift-work as a nurse.

Comment from: Neets, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 11

I was in the shower when I felt hot burning sensations across specific areas of my body. I looked to find severe bruising and pooling of blood across my arms and legs, with heavy blood pin-prick rashes. These were developing as I was getting dry. I was rushed into hospital by my doctor and my platelet count was under ten thousand. My gums and nose were bleeding at this stage and bruising and bleeding were happening all over my body, including my head. I was given an immediate platelet transfusion but my body attacked the platelets. After three transfusions, on three consecutive days, we managed to get my count up to 100,000. I do worry it could happen again. But for now I am back fighting fit and riding my horse.

Comment from: Cheryl, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 07

My 8 yr. old grandaughter has had ITP for over a year now. She has gone through alot of testing and poking from one blood test, infusion, chemo, and now they want to try something else because none of them have worked for her. It breaks my heart everytime we take her for check ups or infusions. She is tiring from the poking and infusions. Next may be CELLCEPT with Vincristine.

Comment from: chuchie, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 07

My husband has hepatitis C. He has been living with this for 10 yrs. now. Only in the past 2 to 3 yrs. have symptoms begun to effect his life drastically, such as severe fluid retention, dangerously low platlets, bruises easly, and medications effect him in different ways too. Somehow our whole life changed, making what we thought would be a lifetime together into hoping he wakes everyday.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 04

I am a 28 year old female. I discovered thrombocytopenia accidently during my first pregnancy where my platelet count falls to 48,000 and thus induced abruptio placenta and I lost my baby which was 23 weeks. I followed up and my platelets count returned normal after one week. Then I got pregnant again after one month and I investigated the cause of thrombocytopenia which was unknown then I experienced abruptio placenta again at 33 weeks and my platelets was 33,000 and I have a premature baby.

Comment from: Andre, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 14

I was diagnosed with low platelets (thrombocytopenia purpura) of 1 and hospitalized for 10 days. My doctor treated me with one treatment of rituxan and my platelets went up from 1 to 388. The average range is 142 to 425. He suggested that I should have at least 4 treatments of rituxan. I had the second treatment last Wednesday and I feel I didn't need it since my platelets are good now. He wants me to do the other 2 treatments and I'm reluctant to do them. My doctor says that I almost died and my insurance approved 4 treatments.

Comment from: stacey, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 07

I have a friend who is presently hospitalized with thrombocytopenia. She has ITP. Red patches suddenly started appearing on her body, her gums and she had profuse bleeding. She had platelet transfusion and has been on steroids. Though her platelet count has risen considerably now, the prolonged steroid therapy has induced diabetes and her blood-glucose level is high. I am happy she will be out of hospital soon and her sugar level is well handled. I sure do hope it doesn't reoccur.

Comment from: libs, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

I was treated for thrombocytopenia 12 years ago and have never looked back. First I was put on a prescription of steroids and every time I came off of them my platelet count would drop to its lowest 16, after three relapses I went into the hospital to have my spleen removed and I have never looked back for the past two years I have not needed any check-ups. It's great I would recommend you look into this as a way to treat ITP. You never know it could also work for you.

Thrombocytopenia (Low Platelet Count) - Causes Question: What was the cause of your thrombocytopenia?
Thrombocytopenia (Low Platelet Count) - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with a low platelet count?
Thrombocytopenia (Low Platelet Count) - Diagnosis Question: What tests and exams did you receive that led to a diagnosis of thrombocytopenia?
Thrombocytopenia (Low Platelet Count) - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment did you receive for thrombocytopenia?