Patient Comments: Thrombocytopenia - Describe Your Experience

Question:Please describe your experience with Thrombocytopenia.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 04

I am a 28 year old female. I discovered thrombocytopenia accidently during my first pregnancy where my platelet count falls to 48,000 and thus induced abruptio placenta and I lost my baby which was 23 weeks. I followed up and my platelets count returned normal after one week. Then I got pregnant again after one month and I investigated the cause of thrombocytopenia which was unknown then I experienced abruptio placenta again at 33 weeks and my platelets was 33,000 and I have a premature baby.

Comment from: Andre, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 14

I was diagnosed with low platelets (thrombocytopenia purpura) of 1 and hospitalized for 10 days. My doctor treated me with one treatment of rituxan and my platelets went up from 1 to 388. The average range is 142 to 425. He suggested that I should have at least 4 treatments of rituxan. I had the second treatment last Wednesday and I feel I didn't need it since my platelets are good now. He wants me to do the other 2 treatments and I'm reluctant to do them. My doctor says that I almost died and my insurance approved 4 treatments.

Comment from: stacey, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 07

I have a friend who is presently hospitalized with thrombocytopenia. She has ITP. Red patches suddenly started appearing on her body, her gums and she had profuse bleeding. She had platelet transfusion and has been on steroids. Though her platelet count has risen considerably now, the prolonged steroid therapy has induced diabetes and her blood-glucose level is high. I am happy she will be out of hospital soon and her sugar level is well handled. I sure do hope it doesn't reoccur.

Comment from: libs, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

I was treated for thrombocytopenia 12 years ago and have never looked back. First I was put on a prescription of steroids and every time I came off of them my platelet count would drop to its lowest 16, after three relapses I went into the hospital to have my spleen removed and I have never looked back for the past two years I have not needed any check-ups. It's great I would recommend you look into this as a way to treat ITP. You never know it could also work for you.

Comment from: sha, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I have lung cancer and have been taking chemotherapy. I still need chemo but my platelets always are below 100 and the doctor said they have to be 100 or more. He put me on steroids for one week and the platelets improved.

Comment from: Bev, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

My family has a history of Thrombocytopenia. Me, my oldest son, and his two children were all born without the ability to make platelets. After the age of two months we seem to be able to produce them, except my grandson. His turned into aplastic anemia and he needed a bone marrow transplant. He is doing fine now, but we have no explanation into why or how this even happened. I have a cousin whose son died as an infant from this condition. If anyone has information I would love to hear it.

Thrombocytopenia (Low Platelet Count) - Causes Question: What was the cause of your thrombocytopenia?
Thrombocytopenia (Low Platelet Count) - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with a low platelet count?
Thrombocytopenia (Low Platelet Count) - Diagnosis Question: What tests and exams did you receive that led to a diagnosis of thrombocytopenia?
Thrombocytopenia (Low Platelet Count) - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment did you receive for thrombocytopenia?