Patient Comments: Thrombocytopenia - Describe Your Experience

Question:Please describe your experience with Thrombocytopenia.

Comment from: Hopeful, 35-44 Female Published: June 08

I asked my doctor if I could have a blood test to check my vitamin levels. I was feeling tired, loved to eat ice. The results appeared to show that I had a severe case of anemia. I started taking Iron Supplement. Followed by another blood test all areas related to anemia appeared to look normal but my platelet counts went down to 14. Following another blood test 4 days later platelet count went down to 10. I wasn't experiencing any bleeding except for a strange (something) looks like plantar warts on one of my foot. I was advised to go into ER. ER doctor suggested optional platelet transfusion. A Hematologist speculated ITP or TTP. So I've started taking prednisone. I've been feeling perfectly fine. I'm just concern with 5 weeks of taking prednisone the side effects that I my experience.

Comment from: Coach, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 08

I am a 49-year-old male and was first diagnosed with ITP in 1994. I became sick less than a month after the flu. After months of prednisone and intravenous immunoglobulin (IVIG), it went into remission. I had no more symptoms until 2012. In September of 2012 I went for my annual flu shot. A week later, I was covered with red dots. IVIG didn't work this time around. Rituxan has worked so far, but unlike the 1994 bout, my counts are low. I'd say worry about getting to 50k and then live the life you have been given. You could have a million things far more sinister. If they put you in oncology, you will understand.

Comment from: GammiSherry, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I was diagnosed with immune Thrombocytopenia many years ago. My platelet count averages in the 35,000 range. I do not experience bleeding, but usually have many bruises on my arms, legs, and body. I need gall bladder surgery and was sent to a hematologist. He will give me N-plate shots to increase my platelet levels before surgery. I teach school, but am feeling so fatigued, weak, and have muscle aches. The hematologist does not believe these symptoms are related to my ITP. He said, "You don't feel platelets." I disagree because once I was given platelets through an IV, and for several days, I had so much energy and felt so good. I am 55 years old and live a normal life. I just do not like the bruising and wish I felt better.

Comment from: Fabulana, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 07

I was diagnosed in 2000 at the age of 17. I was fatigued and had blue marks all over. My platelet count was 2 000 and I was hospitalized. I was on 60 mg prednisone for 6 months but didn't see much of an improvement, I then had a splenectomy and was weaned off the prednisone. my platelets were fine but dipped during my pregnancies, but not lower than 80 000. It has been stable at over 300 000 for a while.

Comment from: junejohn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I was diagnosed with thrombocytopenia in1997. They were 80,000. They have been 80,000 for a long time. My bone marrow is normal; all tests are normal. I am just tired, but I work shift-work as a nurse.

Comment from: Neets, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 11

I was in the shower when I felt hot burning sensations across specific areas of my body. I looked to find severe bruising and pooling of blood across my arms and legs, with heavy blood pin-prick rashes. These were developing as I was getting dry. I was rushed into hospital by my doctor and my platelet count was under ten thousand. My gums and nose were bleeding at this stage and bruising and bleeding were happening all over my body, including my head. I was given an immediate platelet transfusion but my body attacked the platelets. After three transfusions, on three consecutive days, we managed to get my count up to 100,000. I do worry it could happen again. But for now I am back fighting fit and riding my horse.

Comment from: Cheryl, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 07

My 8 yr. old grandaughter has had ITP for over a year now. She has gone through alot of testing and poking from one blood test, infusion, chemo, and now they want to try something else because none of them have worked for her. It breaks my heart everytime we take her for check ups or infusions. She is tiring from the poking and infusions. Next may be CELLCEPT with Vincristine.

Comment from: chuchie, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 07

My husband has hepatitis C. He has been living with this for 10 yrs. now. Only in the past 2 to 3 yrs. have symptoms begun to effect his life drastically, such as severe fluid retention, dangerously low platlets, bruises easly, and medications effect him in different ways too. Somehow our whole life changed, making what we thought would be a lifetime together into hoping he wakes everyday.

Thrombocytopenia (Low Platelet Count) - Causes Question: What was the cause of your thrombocytopenia?
Thrombocytopenia (Low Platelet Count) - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with a low platelet count?
Thrombocytopenia (Low Platelet Count) - Diagnosis Question: What tests and exams did you receive that led to a diagnosis of thrombocytopenia?
Thrombocytopenia (Low Platelet Count) - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment did you receive for thrombocytopenia?