Patient Comments: Thrombocytopenia - Describe Your Experience

Question:Please describe your experience with Thrombocytopenia.

Comment from: hillbillyway, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

With thrombocytopenia my platelet count goes down to 16 or 18.

Comment from: justme, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

Thrombocytopenia runs in our family. My nan, mum, sister, my three daughters and myself all suffer with it. We suffer with the usual symptoms; bruising, nosebleeds etc and I personally find that I can tell when my platelets are low. We do however, lead totally normal lives with the exception of the 6 monthly checkups with the hematologist and occasional steroid prescriptions prior to minor ops or giving birth.

Comment from: Mingo, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 16

I am a 69 years old male. ITP (Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura) for at least 8 years. I didn't find out till 2 weeks ago when I developed petechia and purple skin all over body, headache fatigue, loss of appetite, chills and jaundice. Except for purple skin and petechia, other symptoms have been since springtime gradually increasing and also I do not drink much liquids. I went to the emergency room. Platelets 102 and nothing was given. CT and chest x-ray good. I also get night sweats sometimes and it's enough to warrant a change of shirt. I have no fever. Three years ago had 2 episodes of urinary bleed. Everything checked out okay.

Comment from: Lilly, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

So I just took a fbe or cbc. The doctor found I have mild thrombocytopenia. My count from what I know is 139,000. I feel fortunate it isn't lower as many others I read off here. I took another test. Now awaiting results and going to a hematologist next up on my list. I've been reading about all the things that can be happening to me in the next few months like tests and such. Just getting prepared and I'm hoping I can get it fixed up but I'm a bit nervous if I ever have to remove my spleen. I'd feel some grief having a piece in my body gone!

Comment from: genna, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I discovered I had Amegakaryocytic thrombocytopenia almost two years ago. My platelets have gone down to as low as 2. Been hospitalized quite a few times. Been on Cyclasporin which affected my kidneys another 5 day intense treatment, sorry can't remember the name, had to be hospitalized for two weeks for that. Needless to say nothing has worked. Hospitals are trying to get another drug to try but so far aren't having much luck. I'm surviving on platelets 5 times a fortnight and blood transfusion once a fortnight. Would be a lot easier if I could get medication!

Comment from: carriewaleisky, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 20

My 2year old son went in for a regular physical, where they heard a heart murmur for the first time, the week before his appt. he had developed a severe stutter that came and went after a week, he had 2 nose bleeds. They had a cbc done and resulted in a platelet count of 37,000, doctors followed up with another cbc 2 days later and resulted in a platelet of 45,000. They advised me that he had ITP caused by a viral infection (even though he has not been sick ever, but has had enlarged lymph nodes since he was a baby) they told me he was fine, not to worry and to give him a multivitamin with iron (I did) and to have labs drawn in 2 weeks, they said they should be back to normal by then. 2 weeks later his levels dropped back to 40,000. They want me to wait a week and have labs done again. I don't know what to do, or how to feel about this. I'm not confident in the doctors and the procedures they are following.

Comment from: ghie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

I was diagnosed as ITP with anemia thru bone marrow biopsy. I was on steroid for 2 years and off medication for the last 4 years, but, my hemoglobin level down to 9.2 so i decided to take iron supplement twice a day. After a month i checked my CBC my Hgb dramatically increased to 13 but my platelet down to 65 from previous result of 175.there was a time that my Hematologist suggested spleenectomy when my platelet dropped to 26 after weaning from steroids but i didn't buy the idea. I'm working in a shift. I'm a nurse.

Comment from: susanML4650, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

I have had Thrombocytopenia since 2001. Four years ago I went to a Hematologist-Oncologist and all he did was check my platelets and tell me if I started to bleed, get to an ER. I switched to another Doctor back in July of 2009. He was supposed to be "The Best" for Thrombocytopenia. After four months my platelets dropped to 19. I felt fine, just a little more tired then usual. The doctor decided to put me on 80mg. of Prednisone daily for three months. After 6 weeks, my lips, tongue, and esophagus were burning. It was also starting to burn my stomach. The only way I could stop the burn a bit was drink milk. LOTS of milk.(1/2 gallon per day-skim). When I went to my PCP Doctor, he said to start weaning myself off of the Prednisone because it appears I had developed an allergy to the meds. When I called The Hematologist, he was angry that I was weaning off of it. My platelets had risen to 81 and that was the best they had been in 5 years. When I went to see the Hematologist again, he said I went off of the Prednisone too soon. (4 Weeks of weaning). He pretty much wrote me off and said he would see me in two months. I had been going in every 3 weeks. My platelets slipped down to 61 and I now have Diabetes, High Blood Pressure and high Cholesterol and Triglycerides, that I never had before the Prednisone treatment. From what I have read, there is no cure for this.

Thrombocytopenia (Low Platelet Count) - Causes Question: What was the cause of your thrombocytopenia?
Thrombocytopenia (Low Platelet Count) - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with a low platelet count?
Thrombocytopenia (Low Platelet Count) - Diagnosis Question: What tests and exams did you receive that led to a diagnosis of thrombocytopenia?
Thrombocytopenia (Low Platelet Count) - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment did you receive for thrombocytopenia?