Patient Comments: Thoracic Outlet Syndrome - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your thoracic outlet syndrome?

Comment from: Ivone G., 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 08

I think I have thoracic outlet syndrome symptoms. I started to have pain in my right arm, then neck and clavicle. I went to Urgent Care because there was numbness and tingling in my finger. They sent me for MRI and EMG, and painkillers and muscle relaxers. I feel hopeless because the pain is constant and I feel very weak. Unfortunately, they sent me to a hand orthopedist but he now sent me to a neck doctor. I think the symptoms are very close to this condition and sometimes the pain in the clavicle is very sharp and I feel like it is a heart attack to the point of having panic attacks and shortness of breath. I just want to not have more pain. Also, I discovered that my sleeping posture and my regular posture are not helping.

Comment from: AF Mom, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 09

My neurogenic thoracic outlet syndrome symptoms (NTOS) began January 2015. I have been a weight lifter for over 20 years. The morning after a workout in which I felt some pain (just thought I hadn't stretched/wasn't warmed up enough), I literally could not lift my arm. I had severe pain across clavicle and down arm with numbness in thumb/index finger. I also experienced a white-hot pain, almost as if a rod was being shoved down through my trap. Constant headache, jaw/ear pain, and inability to rotate my head were issues. I was a prisoner in my own home because driving or even riding in a vehicle brought pain that left me in tears. Eventually, my arm would swell and my hand would turn blue. After 9 months of misdiagnosis and experimentation with medicines and physical therapy, I finally found a doctor (he was 8th), who diagnosed NTOS (and reassured me that I wasn't crazy).

Comment from: Mg, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 20

The symptoms of my thoracic outlet syndrome are burning, pain radiating in hand and arm to top of the shoulder and side of neck which also would go up side of ear and face, numbness, and swelling. It irritates to do most normal everyday tasks. Mine came from shoulder injury. It took since 2014 to now to get the correct diagnosis.

Comment from: MissAlanis, Female (Patient) Published: October 23

I was diagnosed just yesterday with not only a pulled rotator cuff but also thoracic outlet syndrome. I was having a good time just two weeks ago when all of a sudden, a white hot pain erupted from my ear down to the tips of my fingers and though the pain has subsided, it's still pretty bad. IO am going to embark on twice weekly physiotherapy (PT) starting tomorrow. Very excited! Hopefully this will help. I suggest looking into local PT places for those who have just been diagnosed.

Comment from: rain, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 24

I was diagnosed with thoracic outlet syndrome last week. I woke up with my hand so numb and my shoulder hurting. I can hardly use the arm and hand.

Comment from: miss dukie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I also was wondering if I was having heart trouble so went to the emergency room via ambulance today to get it checked out. I knew my chiropractor had told me 2 1/2 years ago he thinks I have thoracic outlet syndrome (TOS) but since it was flaring up again and on my left side it mimicked the symptoms your read about heart attacks, I had to check it out to have peace of mind. And it wasn't a heart problem it was my TOS.

Comment from: finally someone list, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

Finally someone listened to how much pain I am in and researched all the scans I have had done. For over 5 weeks most doctors have fobbed me off (it is in her head) or just given me medication most of which don't stop the pain, they just drug me out so much I can't drive so therefore I can't get to work. Thanks to my chiropractor who took the time to listen and research he diagnosed me with thoracic outlet syndrome 2 days ago. It all makes sense now. Hopefully after a few weeks of specific exercises I will be back to normal.

Thoracic Outlet Syndrome - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment or therapy have you received for thoracic outlet syndrome?
Thoracic Outlet Syndrome - Diagnostic Tests Question: What tests were used to diagnose your thoracic outlet syndrome?
Thoracic Outlet Syndrome - Causes Question: What caused your thoracic outlet syndrome?