Patient Comments: Thoracic Outlet Syndrome - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your thoracic outlet syndrome?

Comment from: tosinca, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 15

I am newly diagnosed with TOS (thoracic outlet syndrome). I have been suffering for 6 months. I cannot tell you how many doctors have advised me to see a shrink. Don't listen to them, keep moving forward and seek out the help you deserve.

Comment from: ELIJAH P., 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 14

After doing some front squats on the Smith machine, allowing the bar to sit very high on my deltoids immediately caused numbness in ring and pinky finger. Bottom portion of right arm felt on fire for three weeks. And weakness soon followed. After seeing a sports injury chiropractor diagnosed it as thoracic outlet syndrome and he gave me 5 major stretches the all worked. Two months later all the feeling in the bottom part of my arm had returned but the last two digits of hand still suffer from neuropathy.

Comment from: oshun, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I broke my collarbone 8 months ago. I've noticed ever since the break my arm has never regained the strength I had prior to my accident. My arm and fingers ache so badly at night when I lie down I wake up and have to walk around to get rid of the pain. I cannot do anything that requires me to keep my hand out in front of me for any length of time. I cannot write without serious pain. I cannot type any longer because of the pain. I 'm hoping myofascial Release therapy will free me of this crippling thoracic outlet syndrome. Will keep you posted.

Comment from: Eve, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

What are the dangers of an extra rib regeneration again causing thoracic outlet syndrome? The extra rib was removed many years ago and is regenerating, causing symptoms of pain, numbness, decreased blood flow, and swelling. It is changing as the rib continues to grow. This has been confirmed to be the problem.

Comment from: Misseddx, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I was diagnosed with thoracic outlet syndrome correctly by my physiotherapist (PT). She has 30 years of experience and is highly skilled. My symptoms included having pain, weakness numbness when lifting my arms above my head, to the point of where I could not wash my hair in the shower, I had dizziness, pain, etc. I think it also caused cardiac symptoms (negative for heart attack). After 8 weeks, it did start to return so I think stretches would be advised by the PT.

Comment from: Iris, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

In 2004 I was diagnosed with bad thoracic outlet syndrome. I then had my first operation. The place on the neck where I was opened up, since then has always been extremely tender to the touch. Unfortunately, my symptoms just became worse and in 2012 and I went for a second operation where a lot of scar tissue was also removed. Now in 2014, I am still in so much pain and just want to cry. My neck and shoulder are so painful, causing my left shoulder to be a permanent tense ball; feel like putting a knife right through. I"m really desperate now! I am desperate to try anything now that does not include surgery.

Comment from: manton457, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

My issue started with neck pain and shoulder pain between the shoulder blades, after taking a job as a cashier. After several misdiagnoses, a doctor diagnosed with me with thoracic outlet syndrome. My symptoms are different from day to day, but have ranged from numbness to the left side of my head, neck, face, jaw to lip, down to both shoulders, across the chest and down arms. I have muscle pain in my arms, shoulders, and back. I experience pain in my rib cage, armpits, and pseudo heart attack symptoms. I am now 47. My newest symptoms are that my arms feel very heavy and it is hard to raise them above my head. I have weakness in my arms even though I have been doing physical therapy for 3 months to build strength in the arms, shoulders, and back. The physical therapist was the first to figure out I had thoracic outlet syndrome, but getting a healthcare practitioner to listen was difficult.

Thoracic Outlet Syndrome - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment or therapy have you received for thoracic outlet syndrome?
Thoracic Outlet Syndrome - Diagnostic Tests Question: What tests were used to diagnose your thoracic outlet syndrome?
Thoracic Outlet Syndrome - Causes Question: What caused your thoracic outlet syndrome?