Patient Comments: Thoracic Outlet Syndrome - Treatment

What kinds of treatment or therapy have you received for thoracic outlet syndrome?

Comment from: Lisa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

After finally getting a diagnosis of thoracic outlet syndrome and being frustrated with standard physical therapy that would always cause my arm and fingers to go numb, I finally found out about Egoscue postural therapy. It is making a huge difference and I will not need to go under the knife for this condition.

Comment from: epc238, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I suffer from bilateral thoracic outlet syndrome (TOS), diagnosed a year ago. Nine to ten months ago I had surgery on the right side for TOS. I went to sleep for surgery with a fully functioning hand, and awakened to a brachial plexus injury, severely limiting use of my hand. Although I could make a fist, there is no strength behind it. I couldn't even squeeze play dough or hold a toothbrush. Turns out I did have cervical rib. I have pain on the surgical side on a daily basis, ranging from neck, shoulder blade, arm, hand, shoulder, and sometimes radiating into my ear. I have more frequent pain now than before the surgery. Sleeping is an issue. Nine plus months later, I have half my grip strength back, and zero pinch strength (thumb and index). I'm awaiting a second opinion before undergoing surgery for the other side. I have noticed my arm/hand on surgical side don't fatigue as easily now, but I'm not sure if I feel it was worth it. I'd most definitely do your homework and request a second opinion prior to surgery.

Thoracic Outlet Syndrome - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your thoracic outlet syndrome?