- High Blood Pressure (Hypertension) Slideshow
- Take the Salt Quiz!
- Lowering Blood Pressure Exercise Tips Pictures
- Salt FAQs
- What is the DASH diet?
- What is the recommended daily allowance of sodium?
- How does the DASH diet lower blood pressure and promote weight loss?
- What foods are allowed in the DASH diet eating plan?
- What foods and drinks should be avoided while following a DASH diet?
- What is a sample DASH diet sample menu?
- What are some DASH diet recipes?
- How can I make the DASH diet tastier?
- What heart-healthy lifestyle interventions are part of the DASH diet?
- Physical activity and high blood pressure
- Stress management and high blood pressure
- Sleep and high blood pressure
- Alcohol use and high blood pressure
- Smoking and high blood pressure
- Weight management and high blood pressure
- Where can I find more information about low sodium foods, diet plans, and low sodium shopping lists?
Quick GuideHigh Blood Pressure (Hypertension): Warning Signs, Risks, Medications
Stress management and high blood pressure
Stress can raise blood pressure even if you are following a healthy DASH diet plan. Many times, the things that cause stress are outside of our control and we feel we cannot change it (boss at work, family situations, and our health worries). What we can change is how we let stress impact us. By learning to be more stress resilient, we can reduce the impacts of stress, such as high blood pressure and weight gain. Stress management techniques such as courses in meditation (which can be found online or in person) are a good option. Two types of mediation, transcendental meditation and mindfulness-based stress reduction, have been studied and proven to lower blood pressure as well as increase peace of mind and stress resiliency.
Sleep and high blood pressure
You may not have realized that poor sleep increases blood pressure. For example, people who have sleep apnea have higher blood pressure than those without the condition, and when that is treated (using a device to ease breathing), blood pressure comes down.