Patient Comments: Tetanus - Describe Your Experience

What were the symptoms of your tetanus?

Comment from: amanda p, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

Movement of jaw results in pain, I cannot open jaw wide. It hurts to swallow and I have ear aches and headaches. I do not have any muscle spasms but I am concerned about an insect bite that has not healed in about a month, I wonder if this could be a result of tetanus.

Comment from: yhen, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I think I'm also infected of tetanus. Because the last year in the month of March, I stepped on a nail pointing upward and now my leg aches always. I'm nervous.

Comment from: morty, 45-54 Female Published: August 03

About 3-4 months ago, my son began to have pain in his right jaw. He went thru 2 courses of antibiotics with very little relief. He has seen 3 different dentists and none could see any dental problems that would cause this pain. One X-ray did indicate that there was no "cushion" (as the meniscus in the knee) between the upper and lower jaws of the joint. The pain has gotten considerably worse and he can now only open his mouth 3/4 to inch without severe pain. He also seems to have developed a swollen gland just under the jaw bone. Any information you can provide would be appreciated.

Comment from: AdamC., 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: May 15

I was eating a chicken wing when all of a sudden a knife hit my uvula. After that everything went horribly. The knife cut a hole and got animal manure into the wound which resolved into tetanus disease. With tetanus, I couldn't stop spasming! I could barely eat a chicken wing.

Comment from: mcleans, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I'd be inside doing daily chores, soon as I go outside to take the garbage out, within minutes my body is tense, my hands get this weird itchy feeling and then my jaw locks and is hard to breath after. My body seems to not like the cold.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

On the right side of my face, from my ear down to my jaw line is swollen.

Comment from: mary, 35-44 Female Published: August 14

The pain and swelling at the site of the vaccination is a normal reaction to having a tetanus injection or so I have been told by my doctor. I fainted after the vaccine and then had a hard lump in my arm the size of a golf ball for weeks. I think it may have been about six inches. It was hot and red and itchy. The doctor assured me it meant that my body was awesome at fighting the tetanus and would not let it in my body to fight it. So I took all of the tetanus antibodies at the sight. Whether or not this is true, it has relieved me of the awful feeling of having an adverse reaction.

Comment from: devoted mom, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 04

my daughter needed to get (Td) and (Tdap) vaccine to register for 6th grade.The next day when i picked her up from school there was an area 7" x 3.5" from her shoulder down her arm that is swollen, hard, hot, red, and very painful for her. I know this is not supposed to be happening and I need to get her back to see a doctor as soon as possible.

Comment from: BHorne, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 04

Could it be the shot, a week after the shot, my arm swelled up and had fever in it. I went to doctor and she gave antibiotic for the problem, thinking it was a bite of some kind. The redness and swelling spread nearly to my elbow. Very itchy and red and feverish. I am quite concerned if it was the shot.

Tetanus - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment did you receive for tetanus?
Tetanus - Vaccine Question: Are you up to date on your tetanus vaccine?
Tetanus - Experience Question: Did a relative or anyone you know ever become infected with tetanus? Please describe your experience.