Patient Comments: Tetanus - Describe Your Experience

What were the symptoms of your tetanus?

Comment from: morty, 45-54 Female Published: August 03

About 3-4 months ago, my son began to have pain in his right jaw. He went thru 2 courses of antibiotics with very little relief. He has seen 3 different dentists and none could see any dental problems that would cause this pain. One X-ray did indicate that there was no "cushion" (as the meniscus in the knee) between the upper and lower jaws of the joint. The pain has gotten considerably worse and he can now only open his mouth 3/4 to inch without severe pain. He also seems to have developed a swollen gland just under the jaw bone. Any information you can provide would be appreciated.

Comment from: mcleans, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I'd be inside doing daily chores, soon as I go outside to take the garbage out, within minutes my body is tense, my hands get this weird itchy feeling and then my jaw locks and is hard to breath after. My body seems to not like the cold.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

On the right side of my face, from my ear down to my jaw line is swollen.

Comment from: mary, 35-44 Female Published: August 14

The pain and swelling at the site of the vaccination is a normal reaction to having a tetanus injection or so I have been told by my doctor. I fainted after the vaccine and then had a hard lump in my arm the size of a golf ball for weeks. I think it may have been about six inches. It was hot and red and itchy. The doctor assured me it meant that my body was awesome at fighting the tetanus and would not let it in my body to fight it. So I took all of the tetanus antibodies at the sight. Whether or not this is true, it has relieved me of the awful feeling of having an adverse reaction.

Comment from: devoted mom, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 04

my daughter needed to get (Td) and (Tdap) vaccine to register for 6th grade.The next day when i picked her up from school there was an area 7" x 3.5" from her shoulder down her arm that is swollen, hard, hot, red, and very painful for her. I know this is not supposed to be happening and I need to get her back to see a doctor as soon as possible.

Comment from: BHorne, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 04

Could it be the shot, a week after the shot, my arm swelled up and had fever in it. I went to doctor and she gave antibiotic for the problem, thinking it was a bite of some kind. The redness and swelling spread nearly to my elbow. Very itchy and red and feverish. I am quite concerned if it was the shot.

Comment from: kim hougaard, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

Friday night my skin on my hand was pierced by a dog grabbing a bone. By Sunday night I began to develop body ache, 2 hours later it was almost unbearable, cold fever, muscle spasms and wanting to stretch, also rigorous. I took 1 myprodol every 3 hours and got to the doctor early the next morning, he said it is a virus that attacked my blood and gave me a voltarin injection. PLEASE NOTE I NEVER THOUGHT OF THE DOG BITE IN CONECTION WITH MY SYMPTOMS!!!! 2 days later there had been a gradual ease up but I was still in bad shape, went for blood tests which showed my white blood count to be down, also my platelet count and the level of infection in my body up. I DID go on an antibiotic, to protect my 1 kidney from the 1st day. I gradually improved, today 1 week later I have returned to normal. I had a tetanus jab 3 years ago but perhaps it did not cover the strain in my wound. I only put the dog bite and my symptoms together 3 days ago but this is my own diagnosis and not a medical one.

Tetanus - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, were used for tetanus in you or someone you know?
Tetanus - Vaccine Question: Are you up-to-date on your tetanus vaccine? When and why did you receive it last?
Tetanus - Experience Question: Did a relative or anyone you know ever become infected with tetanus? Please describe your experience.