Patient Comments: Tetanus - Describe Your Experience

What were the symptoms of your tetanus?

Comment from: kim hougaard, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

Friday night my skin on my hand was pierced by a dog grabbing a bone. By Sunday night I began to develop body ache, 2 hours later it was almost unbearable, cold fever, muscle spasms and wanting to stretch, also rigorous. I took 1 myprodol every 3 hours and got to the doctor early the next morning, he said it is a virus that attacked my blood and gave me a voltarin injection. PLEASE NOTE I NEVER THOUGHT OF THE DOG BITE IN CONECTION WITH MY SYMPTOMS!!!! 2 days later there had been a gradual ease up but I was still in bad shape, went for blood tests which showed my white blood count to be down, also my platelet count and the level of infection in my body up. I DID go on an antibiotic, to protect my 1 kidney from the 1st day. I gradually improved, today 1 week later I have returned to normal. I had a tetanus jab 3 years ago but perhaps it did not cover the strain in my wound. I only put the dog bite and my symptoms together 3 days ago but this is my own diagnosis and not a medical one.

Tetanus - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment did you receive for tetanus?
Tetanus - Vaccine Question: Are you up to date on your tetanus vaccine?
Tetanus - Experience Question: Did a relative or anyone you know ever become infected with tetanus? Please describe your experience.