Patient Comments: Tetanus - Vaccine

Are you up-to-date on your tetanus vaccine? When and why did you receive it last?

Comment from: midcreek1, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

My last tetanus shot was 34 years ago. I had a reaction of swelling arm and I literally slept for 3 days only getting up to go to the bathroom. I went to my doctor and he said I had an allergic reaction and to "not ever take the shot again". I since then think of the risk as I do work with animals so I asked my present doctor (I told him what my reaction to the shot had been) and he said just take 25mg of Benadryl and take another shot. But I"m worried to do that, so I need another opinion on this. I do feel I should get the shot, but will all I need is 25mg of Benadryl! I"ve been trying to find out from somewhere on this issue.

Tetanus - Describe Your Experience Question: What were the symptoms of your tetanus?
Tetanus - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, were used for tetanus in you or someone you know?
Tetanus - Experience Question: Did a relative or anyone you know ever become infected with tetanus? Please describe your experience.