Patient Comments: Tension Headache - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with a tension headache?

Comment from: yv3tt3, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I have suffered from tension headaches for quite a few years now, it always starts when I wake up, my symptoms are very tight neck muscles and always pain on the right side of my neck and head. The headaches last for 2 to 3 days. I sought the help of a naturopath and was told to take magnesium citrate and omega 3s. I have not had a tension headache in almost 6 months.

Comment from: makeitstop, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

It feels like my head is screwed on too tight. Sometimes it feels like a pulling sensation from eyebrows to neck. I am somewhat nauseated and sensitive to light and sound.

Comment from: Zebiniso, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I have had headaches for one and a half year. The pain is mostly in my forehead and at the back of my head. And it lasts for about 10 to 15 hours a day. When the pain starts I cannot think clearly, even sometime can't remember the things I used to. And this pain now is affecting my vision. I don"t know whether this is a tension headache. In my family nobody has headache problem.

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 23

I have anxiety that is slowly going away, but I still have tension headaches. It feels like I have a very tight cap over my head. I often feel tightness in my chest during these times too. I've seen a doctor about the chest tightness and he said that I'm perfectly healthy, just stressed.

Comment from: Britt, 13-18 Female Published: March 20

I feel nervous all the time, I get irritated easily, and sometimes even the smallest things will make me angry. I've noticed all of those things are what set my headaches off. I'll get headaches every day for 2 weeks and then I'll be fine for a while before it starts again. It's been like this for 3 months. I also have a knot on the back of my head that will have a dull ache along with my headache. The knot has been there for probably 4 years. I haven't been to a doctor to know, but obviously something isn't right. I do now have an appointment later this week.

Comment from: ruby, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 20

I have had tension headaches for 4 years and nothing seemed to work. After various pills and alternative remedies, just recently someone said to try magnesium. I have been on this for a week, what a difference!

Comment from: relief seeker, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 12

Hi All. My Mother had sinus surgery about a month and half ago. But she has had headaches almost 4 days of every week. Her symptoms include heaviness of the forehead towards the nose, dizzy sensation at the top of her head, sometimes she feels as though painless pins and needles are swilling one at a time in her head, pain/headache at the back of her head towards her neck.

Comment from: Yusha, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 09

I clench my teeth when I sleep, suffer from depression, anxiety and anger that I keep inside. My tension headaches are at the back of my head, sides too sometimes and I do have some sensitivity to light and sound. I usually try and stretch my mouth wide open and lay down in bed with the blinds closed and tv sound down or off. The pain is quite severe and usually keeps me in the house. I may get them every day for 2 weeks, sometimes more and sometimes less and sometimes I don't have them for a couple of months. I take prozac and xanax for my depression and anxiety.

Tension Headache - Treatment Question: Which tension headache treatment worked for you?
Tension Headache - Causes Question: What causes your tension headaches? Do you know your triggers?
Tension Headache - Remedies Question: Are home remedies effective for your tension headaches?