Patient Comments: Tension Headache - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with a tension headache?

Comment from: Dob., 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I get tension headaches quite a bit and they can last for days. I suffer from anxiety and also have a lot of stress in my everyday life. The headaches usually start in the late afternoon. With my headaches, I also have nausea, dizziness, my face and neck feel really hot to touch and I can't concentrate on anything. It's horrible... I just wished there was a cure to make headaches go away and never return.

Comment from: stacey, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

Mine usually starts with stiffness and muscles tightening in the back of my neck, then the whole back of my head and behind my ears. It usually bothers my concentration. Stress does not make it any better!

Comment from: Anela, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

Sharp pain in the back of my neck, like a knife. Cannot sleep because of the pain. Tenderness on my neck and tightness. Sometimes it hurts to open my mouth, move my neck, turn it. It has been 2 weeks and this tension headache hasn't stopped.

Comment from: mono13, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I have recently been getting strong tension in the back/nape of my neck, spreading up the back of my head and through my shoulders. When I push on the back of my neck, it will crack, which causes brief relief. But my headaches also include blurred vision and/or lack of balance. If I don't sit or lay my head back for a while, I may get an anxiety attack and start shaking. Rest is the best way to get rid of it for me.

Comment from: Moderate1, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 24

My tension headaches give me pain behind my eyes, sensitivity to light and sound and pain all over my head. It's usually due to me clenching my teeth.

Comment from: Amy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

With my tension headache, I experience tightness and throbbing in the back of my neck, and severe throbbing in the top of my head and forehead. It intensifies upon standing.

Tension Headache - Treatment Question: Which tension headache treatment worked for you?
Tension Headache - Causes Question: What causes your tension headaches? Do you know your triggers?
Tension Headache - Remedies Question: Are home remedies effective for your tension headaches?