Patient Comments: Tension Headache - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with a tension headache?

Comment from: Minouche, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

My headaches normally start from stress-related situations. After that, it will gradually start to elevate, my neck will stiffen, one side will start to hurt then switch to the other side, and sometimes -- depending on the amount of stress that I'm going through -- it will switch to the top of the head. By then I have to lie down and squeeze my head for relief. The best medication that helps me from the start of the headaches is Fioricet. If I let the pain get too far along, not even that medicine will help.

Comment from: Katie, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 24

My headaches usually start in the upper part of my neck and shoot through to my face, causing the back of my jaw to ache. The back of my eyes and nose have stabbing pains, and usually one or the other temple (or sometimes like today, both) to throb. I also, like today sometimes, get very nauseous. Usually, it's treated with muscle relaxants and vicodin, but sometimes even that does nothing.

Comment from: caranz, 35-44 (Patient) Published: May 28

For six months I had a “pressure” feeling across my forehead and the bridge of nose, along with an ongoing headache lingering in the background most of the time. It impacted my life daily – I just didn't feel right. Light made it worse. I felt better wearing my sunglasses. Through my GP, I went down the sinus track – saw an ENT specialist, had a sinus CT scan, etc. I also tried washes, antibiotics (for five weeks) – still, nothing. The lingering “pressure/fuzzy” feeling was still there. My doctor then prescribed nortriptyline, which stopped all of my symptoms. I was so relieved. But a month later, my headaches returned. My doctor advised that we hadn't broken the cycle, so I was put back on nortriptyline at an increased dosage of 50 g. I have a few months of this to go. It's all good so far – I feel normal again.

Comment from: Bobi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I have pain mostly on the top of my head, constant drowsiness, and balance issues.

Comment from: mar, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I have been suffering from these terrible headaches for years now. As I am writing these lines, I'm trying to keep myself from keeling over due to the pain. My pain is usually in the lower nape area and shoots up straight to the back of my eye, usually on the right side of my head. Stabbing pains in the temple area and top of head also occur. Nausea and queeziness often follow.

Comment from: lovely, 7-12 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

I had trouble walking, dizziness, irritated by noises and just wanted to be alone in the dark.

Comment from: roxy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

I have severe headaches on the left side of my head. My nape and forehead also aches. Sometimes I have nausea and vomitting. I consulted with a neurologist and he gave me doloneurobion and baclofen.

Comment from: Chani, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I started to get bad headaches that I thought were sinus headaches. After 3 days I went to the doctor and he mentioned it was a tension headache and his prescription was a massage. Of course I thought he was crazy but he sent me across the hall to the physical therapy section. I had 3 sessions during the course of 2 weeks and the therapist was great. He taught me some messages that I could do at home and moves that I can work on any time I get a headache. I also got a muscle relaxer but so far I have not used it. The physical therapy is working wonders.

Tension Headache - Treatment Question: Which tension headache treatment worked for you?
Tension Headache - Causes Question: What causes your tension headaches? Do you know your triggers?
Tension Headache - Remedies Question: Are home remedies effective for your tension headaches?