Patient Comments: Tension Headache - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with a tension headache?

Comment from: Minouche, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

My headaches normally start from stress-related situations. After that, it will gradually start to elevate, my neck will stiffen, one side will start to hurt then switch to the other side, and sometimes -- depending on the amount of stress that I'm going through -- it will switch to the top of the head. By then I have to lie down and squeeze my head for relief. The best medication that helps me from the start of the headaches is Fioricet. If I let the pain get too far along, not even that medicine will help.

Comment from: Katie, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 24

My headaches usually start in the upper part of my neck and shoot through to my face, causing the back of my jaw to ache. The back of my eyes and nose have stabbing pains, and usually one or the other temple (or sometimes like today, both) to throb. I also, like today sometimes, get very nauseous. Usually, it's treated with muscle relaxants and vicodin, but sometimes even that does nothing.

Comment from: ruby, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 20

I have had tension headaches for 4 years and nothing seemed to work. After various pills and alternative remedies, just recently someone said to try magnesium. I have been on this for a week, what a difference!

Comment from: relief seeker, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 12

Hi All. My Mother had sinus surgery about a month and half ago. But she has had headaches almost 4 days of every week. Her symptoms include heaviness of the forehead towards the nose, dizzy sensation at the top of her head, sometimes she feels as though painless pins and needles are swilling one at a time in her head, pain/headache at the back of her head towards her neck.

Comment from: caranz, 35-44 (Patient) Published: May 28

For six months I had a “pressure” feeling across my forehead and the bridge of nose, along with an ongoing headache lingering in the background most of the time. It impacted my life daily – I just didn't feel right. Light made it worse. I felt better wearing my sunglasses. Through my GP, I went down the sinus track – saw an ENT specialist, had a sinus CT scan, etc. I also tried washes, antibiotics (for five weeks) – still, nothing. The lingering “pressure/fuzzy” feeling was still there. My doctor then prescribed nortriptyline, which stopped all of my symptoms. I was so relieved. But a month later, my headaches returned. My doctor advised that we hadn't broken the cycle, so I was put back on nortriptyline at an increased dosage of 50 g. I have a few months of this to go. It's all good so far – I feel normal again.

Comment from: Bobi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I have pain mostly on the top of my head, constant drowsiness, and balance issues.

Comment from: mar, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I have been suffering from these terrible headaches for years now. As I am writing these lines, I'm trying to keep myself from keeling over due to the pain. My pain is usually in the lower nape area and shoots up straight to the back of my eye, usually on the right side of my head. Stabbing pains in the temple area and top of head also occur. Nausea and queeziness often follow.

Comment from: lovely, 7-12 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

I had trouble walking, dizziness, irritated by noises and just wanted to be alone in the dark.

Tension Headache - OTC Drugs Question: What type of OTC drugs or other remedies help when you have a tension headaches?
Tension Headache - Experience Question: Please share your experience with tension headaches including triggers, causes, symptoms, and things that help relieve tension headaches for you.
Tension Headache - Alternative Therapies Question: What alternative or home remedies do you use to help the pain from tension headaches?