- Headache & Migraine Triggers - Slideshow
- Take the Headache Quiz
- Patient Comments: Tension Headache - Symptoms
- Patient Comments: Tension Headache - OTC Drugs
- Find a local Neurologist in your town
- Tension headache facts
- What is a tension headache?
- What causes tension headaches?
- What are the symptoms of tension headache?
- How are tension headaches diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for tension headache?
- Prescription medications for tension headaches
- OTC drugs for tension headaches
- Managing stress
- Are there effective home remedies a cure for tension headache?
- Can tension headaches be prevented?
What causes tension headaches?
The exact cause of tension headache isn't known; and many factors probably play a role in why people develop headache. These factors may include:
- lack of sleep,
- skipping meals, or
- increased stress (leading to a frequent description of these headaches as stress headaches).
Underlying diseases or conditions may frequently cause a headache, for example:
- eye strain,
- muscular tension caused by poor posture,
- over exertion, or
In children, headache may be seen as a response to changes in school or home situations such as:
- a new sibling,
- testing at school, or
- social isolation.