- Take the Pain Quiz
- Surprising Reasons You're in Pain Slideshow
- Chronic Pain Slideshow
- Patient Comments: Tennis Elbow - Symptoms
- Patient Comments: Tennis Elbow - Causes
- Find a local Doctor in your town
- Tennis elbow facts
- What is tennis elbow?
- What causes tennis elbow?
- What are tennis elbow risk factors?
- What are symptoms of tennis elbow?
- How do physicians diagnose tennis elbow?
- What is the treatment for tennis elbow?
- What is the outlook (prognosis) for tennis elbow?
- Is it possible to prevent tennis elbow?
What is the outlook (prognosis) for tennis elbow?
Tennis elbow most often has a complete recovery with conservative measures, particularly by resting the joint and avoiding reinjury.
Is it possible to prevent tennis elbow?
Avoiding strain injury of the elbow joint can prevent tennis elbow. Tennis players can benefit by proper instruction in hitting techniques. Tennis elbow straps can be used to minimize the risk of injury to the elbow tendons.
Exercises that strengthen the involved muscles can be helpful to avoid a reoccurrence once symptoms have disappeared.
Medically reviewed by Aimee V. HachigianGould, MD; American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
Klippel, J.H., et al. Primer on the Rheumatic Diseases. New York: Springer, 2008.