Patient Comments: TMJ - Treatment

What treatment have you had for TMJ?

Comment from: Jrox, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

Get your testosterone checked! I have TMJ but my testosterone levels were at a 0.8 when they should be between 40 and 50 and testosterone helps with muscles and a whole lot of other things; however there is a linkage between low testosterone and TMJ... I"m so excited to give testosterone pellet therapy a try to help get rid of TMJ!

Comment from: MOF, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

Decades ago, I gave up. I was diagnosed with TMJ around 1977 (I was a teen, and I think that is the right year), went to a TMJ specialist who fitted me with an appliance and kept adding more to it each time I went. Although I had no bite when it was out, I also had no relief. When we moved from that area, the dentist was pretty horrified that I had no bite. So off to an orthodontist. I also saw an oral surgeon in there some time, who had more imaging of my TM joint. No help. We tried biofeedback. Nada. I tried progressive relaxation (guided), and no help. I even tried acupuncture. At this point, I was in college, and pretty much gave up. Back then, I had many good days that I didn"t really hurt, and flare ups that were bad. Now, I have daily pain, can"t remember the last time I had no pain. In January, I started getting daily sharp pain with inhalation - trust me, not fun. And not a typical TMJ symptom. When I went for a physical about 6 weeks later, I mentioned it, and got referred to a neurologist. He has me on gabapentin right now - I think it has helped with that specific pain, but not the chronic ear/jaw pain I have. He just upped the dose, to see if that helps. At least he is trying. But man, whatever it really is, I wish we could figure out the right treatment. It stinks having constant pain of varying degrees. It affects my concentration and energy level. And is just a bit of a drag.

TMJ - Symptoms Question: Besides pain, what TMJ symptoms do you experience?
TMJ - Exercises Question: Have you tried exercises or other self-care measures to prevent TMJ symptoms?
TMJ - Pain Question: What kind of activities exacerbate your TMJ pain?
TMJ - Causes Question: What causes your TMJ symptoms?