Patient Comments: TMJ - Treatment

What treatment have you had for TMJ?

Comment from: vs, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I went to my first orthodontist when I was 6 years old. I wore braces and headgear for 5 years. I had 3 mm of bone removed from my top jaw and the lower jaw broken and reset in two places. I also had a chin constructed to give my lips closure. This helped with the TMJ (temporomandibular joint disorder) pain for many years but it is deteriorating. I was told by doctors at the time that I would probably have to have it all reconstructed one day. I have no cartilage in the jaw joint, just bone wearing down bone. Never have I ever rested with my teeth together. They simply don't match or feel right doing that. A doctor told me my muscles feel like a rubber band that has been stretched out for too long and has lost its snap. Two of them came in to marvel at the directions they are in like I was a carnival freak. Ring and pinky stay numb on both hands.

Comment from: susan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

Ultrasound given by a physical therapist works wonders for jaw pain from TMJ (temporomandibular joint disorder). I also use the Alpha-Stim 100. You can find information on this device online.

Comment from: Jrox, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

Get your testosterone checked! I have TMJ but my testosterone levels were at a 0.8 when they should be between 40 and 50 and testosterone helps with muscles and a whole lot of other things; however there is a linkage between low testosterone and TMJ... I"m so excited to give testosterone pellet therapy a try to help get rid of TMJ!

Comment from: MOF, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

Decades ago, I gave up. I was diagnosed with TMJ around 1977 (I was a teen, and I think that is the right year), went to a TMJ specialist who fitted me with an appliance and kept adding more to it each time I went. Although I had no bite when it was out, I also had no relief. When we moved from that area, the dentist was pretty horrified that I had no bite. So off to an orthodontist. I also saw an oral surgeon in there some time, who had more imaging of my TM joint. No help. We tried biofeedback. Nada. I tried progressive relaxation (guided), and no help. I even tried acupuncture. At this point, I was in college, and pretty much gave up. Back then, I had many good days that I didn"t really hurt, and flare ups that were bad. Now, I have daily pain, can"t remember the last time I had no pain. In January, I started getting daily sharp pain with inhalation - trust me, not fun. And not a typical TMJ symptom. When I went for a physical about 6 weeks later, I mentioned it, and got referred to a neurologist. He has me on gabapentin right now - I think it has helped with that specific pain, but not the chronic ear/jaw pain I have. He just upped the dose, to see if that helps. At least he is trying. But man, whatever it really is, I wish we could figure out the right treatment. It stinks having constant pain of varying degrees. It affects my concentration and energy level. And is just a bit of a drag.

Comment from: ouch, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 12

About 6 years ago, I got my wisdom teeth out and after that, my jaw started popping/clicking. It was just annoying and loud, but rarely caused pain. Then, 3 years ago, I got dental work done and since then it has been awful. Sometimes I can't open my mouth or eat solid foods. About 85 percent of the time I am in pain. I get lucky and I have a good day here and there. My jaw aches. My right ear is clogged 24/7 and it has shooting pain. It hurts to talk. It is awful. I finally found a dentist and oral surgeon who work together, to find a solution for TMJ (temporomandibular joint disorder). They take it seriously and are going to do everything they can so I don't have to have surgery. I am getting a guard in my mouth tomorrow to wear 24/7. They said I might have to have braces to realign my bite. The x-ray or whatever that they took of my joints looks awful. I am just glad to have met people who take it seriously and know what they are talking about. Ibuprofen and all that doesn't work. It is so painful.

Comment from: Okie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I don't know whether or not my 2 situations are related but I began having this clenching of my teeth and awful jaw pain syndrome, following back surgery and primarily after a 2nd root canal that was done on the same tooth, which I never did understand. I too cannot imagine having this pain the rest of my life. My dentist suggested braces, which is not going to happen unless they are certain this is definitely TMJ (temporomandibular joint). I do take OTC pain medicines but refuse to take anything stronger, because unless it is a permanent fix OTC is all I'm going to take and I'll just have to learn to live with it, I'm afraid.

TMJ - Symptoms Question: Besides pain, what TMJ symptoms do you experience?
TMJ - Exercises Question: Have you tried exercises or other self-care measures to prevent TMJ symptoms?
TMJ - Risk Factors Question: What kind of activities exacerbate your TMJ pain?
TMJ - Causes Question: What causes your TMJ symptoms?