Patient Comments: TMJ - Treatment

What treatment have you had for TMJ?

Comment from: Jrox, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

Get your testosterone checked! I have TMJ but my testosterone levels were at a 0.8 when they should be between 40 and 50 and testosterone helps with muscles and a whole lot of other things; however there is a linkage between low testosterone and TMJ... I"m so excited to give testosterone pellet therapy a try to help get rid of TMJ!

Comment from: MOF, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

Decades ago, I gave up. I was diagnosed with TMJ around 1977 (I was a teen, and I think that is the right year), went to a TMJ specialist who fitted me with an appliance and kept adding more to it each time I went. Although I had no bite when it was out, I also had no relief. When we moved from that area, the dentist was pretty horrified that I had no bite. So off to an orthodontist. I also saw an oral surgeon in there some time, who had more imaging of my TM joint. No help. We tried biofeedback. Nada. I tried progressive relaxation (guided), and no help. I even tried acupuncture. At this point, I was in college, and pretty much gave up. Back then, I had many good days that I didn"t really hurt, and flare ups that were bad. Now, I have daily pain, can"t remember the last time I had no pain. In January, I started getting daily sharp pain with inhalation - trust me, not fun. And not a typical TMJ symptom. When I went for a physical about 6 weeks later, I mentioned it, and got referred to a neurologist. He has me on gabapentin right now - I think it has helped with that specific pain, but not the chronic ear/jaw pain I have. He just upped the dose, to see if that helps. At least he is trying. But man, whatever it really is, I wish we could figure out the right treatment. It stinks having constant pain of varying degrees. It affects my concentration and energy level. And is just a bit of a drag.

Comment from: SoreJaw, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

I have been clenching my teeth for years and began grinding them as soon as I got my braces off (3 years ago). I wear a bite plain which protects my teeth from being damaged, but doesn't stop me from clenching or grinding. I still wake up throughout the night and in the morning with an extremely sore jaw and can tell that I was grinding all night. 5 months ago, I got lock jaw for the first time. It was SO painful. I went to the doctor right away and she gave me muscle relaxants. I took 2 of them, fell asleep, and when I woke up, I yawned and my jaw unlocked! ALTHOUGH, my jaw (and I) have not been the same since. My jaw never went back to how it was before lock jaw. It has never opened as wide, and has never opened without pain. I have muscle spasms, a pinched nerve in my neck, and ear and head aches. Turns out I have a slipped disc and scar tissue build-up in my left jaw joint and I am going for my scope surgery consultation tomorrow. If this surgery doesn't fix my problem, I don't know what I'll do! I can't imagine living the rest of my life with these jaw issues and I would not wish this on anyone! The only advice I can give for temporary relief is extra strength Robaxacet. It works wonders when I'm in severe pain, although, I don't want to rely on pills forever.

Comment from: agent777, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

When I was 19 I had two wisdom teeth removed, and during the operation I suddenly felt a tremendous pain in my jaw, so severe the dentist had to stop immediately. I was afterword's informed by a dental surgeon that I was suffering from TMJ. I am now 35, and the only thing that has helped has been a low dose of diazepam before bed. This has been working for me for about 12 years. Hope this was helpful.

Comment from: BB, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 10

If you drink coffee or have caffeine, this will makes things worse, because you will clench your teeth from having "too much energy or anxiety." Stop the caffeine and see if this helps along with ibuprofen, an anti-inflammatory. Make sure you are taking a multivitamin to make sure you're not deficient in any one nutrient. Try a whole body relaxation and massage approach. I find that I am holding pain in my body from working hard (sore muscles), and I believe I may be clenching my jaws because of it. Hot baths with Epsom salts has magnesium in it, chamomile tea in the evening. To sooth and relax your jaw muscles, try warming massage rocks and hold one on your jaw, then massage. Magnesium and calcium are good for helping muscles relax along with plenty of water, hope this helps you.

TMJ - Symptoms Question: Besides pain, what TMJ symptoms do you experience?
TMJ - Exercises Question: Have you tried exercises or other self-care measures to prevent TMJ symptoms?
TMJ - Pain Question: What kind of activities exacerbate your TMJ pain?
TMJ - Causes Question: What causes your TMJ symptoms?