Patient Comments: Taste Disorders - Patient Experience

Do you have a taste disorder? Please describe your experience.

Comment from: chris, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: July 08

I have lost the ability to identify the smell/taste of many types of food, I can identify the difference between apples and pears not so much the taste but the texture. Unless the meat products have a very strong/taste I cannot tell what type of meat that I am ingesting, I cannot tell what flavor of drinks, fizzy from others, I am still healthy and play golf every week.

Comment from: K Hudmon, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 01

Recently I have noticed a strange sensation in my mouth; mostly when I chew food. It does not change the taste of the food very much. Mainly it changes how the food feels in my mouth when I am chewing. It leaves me with a poor appetite.

Comment from: Kitkat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

I recently moved from the South West to Colorado. It is much drier. I am learning to stay hydrated. I recently noticed a profound change in the way longtime favorite foods like coffee taste (negatively). I have serious eating problems as is. I eat carefully. I have loss of taste for some other foods also. I have had chronic sinus issues since arrival in winter.

Comment from: DanielaP, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

Three weeks ago I caught a bad flu. I hardly took any drugs, only some antihistaminic spray in the nose three times to be able to sleep at night. Usually when the cold is over, the sense of smell and taste are recovered. In this case however, it's two weeks that the cold is gone, there's no infection in the throat (the tonsils were removed when I was a child, including their roots in a second surgery), but the sense of smell has totally disappeared and with that the sense of taste as well. As described in your article, I have instead a very unpleasant phantom taste perception. I have been under no cancer treatment ever, I see the dentist twice a year to make sure all teeth are in good condition, and the overall health is good.

Comment from: Angela, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I have experienced burning mouth syndrome, for the last 5 years, after having dental work. I've been to see specialists, neurologists, doctors, homeopaths and tried different types of medication, to no avail. Every day the taste is different, I just want to scream out loud; it is very depressing.

Comment from: Martha, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 27

I am having a big problem with eating. I can eat or drink most things cold, but when I start chewing and swallowing warm or hot foods, I get a horrible taste in my mouth. It doesn't seem to be metallic, and I can't explain it.

Comment from: Jasmin, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 02

I lost my taste 10 days ago all of a sudden, right after I received this year's flu shot. I can't taste salt, sweet, sour, you name it. Even plain water is bland. I've been losing 0.5 to 1 pound a day. I force myself to eat, but maybe only 3 to 4 spoonful and I just can't swallow anymore. I get really miserable and start to cry. I don't want to live like this and don't know how long I can keep forcing myself to eat. I loved to eat and cook. So sad. Otherwise, I'm healthy and no other problems.

Comment from: dan m, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 19

I have had 2 stomach surgeries for carcinoid tumors resulting in lower 80 percent removal, and 1 more for restriction from stomach to intestine. I experience restrictions and severe cramps for months. I am unable to take even the smallest bite for fear of the severe pain, and for very long this time until I passed out again. One night my pain was worst ever and just stopped the next day. For months I tasted and ate so much my weight went from 106 lb. to 124 lb. in 2 months. Now I have no taste, I am not eating but trying.

Taste Disorders - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with taste disorders.
Taste Disorders - Causes Question: What were the causes of your taste disorders?
Taste Disorders - Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your taste disorders?
Taste Disorders - Treatment Question: What type of treatment did you receive for your taste disorder.