Patient Comments: Taste Disorders - Causes

Question:What were the causes of your taste disorders?

Comment from: lost4years, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I am a 45 year old woman with systemic lupus. I am under treatment with the medication Thalomid. About 2 weeks after starting medication my taste slowly started changing. Things became less appealing and I didn't catch on right away. Then I noticed I was putting more sugar in my coffee to taste it. Now I very seldom can taste sweet and even things we don't really consider sweet such as bell peppers and pizza sauce. Many things we eat have some layer of sugar to them and taking that out of the mix can really foul a recipe. Stopping the medication is not an option as they are my last resort now. I should mention that I am a chef and this is mentally and physically devastating. I am losing weight. Without taste, food is not as appealing and almost an affront. I know what it should taste like and to put it in my mouth and for it to taste so wrong is a quick put off. So I seem to avoid eating to not suffer the heart break. I am hoping that if I am able to ever stop medications I will get my taste back please, oh please!

Comment from: e98186johnsonusmc, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: February 06

I am a 77 year old male who experienced a loss of taste. It went from a sour taste to little or no taste. After a period of 3 months with no medical treatment, my taste returned. With 3 or more month of experiencing the taste of food, the lack of taste returned! No medication has been added or deleted. Thus far, I have not sought any medical help from doctors.

Comment from: Tizzy, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 28

I have no idea why I have a taste disorder. My ENT specialist said it could be an allergy, but could not give me allergy tests because I am allergic to something in the tests themselves. I am 80 years old and can't taste most foods.

Taste Disorders - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with taste disorders.
Taste Disorders - Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your taste disorders?
Taste Disorders - Patient Experience Question: Do you have a taste disorder? Please describe your experience.
Taste Disorders - Treatment Question: What type of treatment did you receive for your taste disorder.