Patient Comments: Taste Disorders - Experience

Question:Please describe your experience with taste disorders.

Comment from: smine, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I suffered a severe oral event 4 months ago. Gums turned brownish then white. There were multiple lesions on gums, tongue, throat and palate. I nearly couldn"t eat. I became dehydrated with sodium dropping to 127. I was treated initially with Nystatin, viscous lidocaine and amoxicillin. Two days later I started Flagyl and Famvir. Gums and mouth were extremely sore and bloody with inability to brush teeth. Four months later food tastes flavorless. Sweet isn"t really sweet. Now I eat Jell-O and peanut brittle. Food holds no pleasure. Still there are places on tongue that have a raised feeling. Two dental checkups and cleanings indicate gums are much improved in color and appearance but still I must use caution when flossing. I was treated with steroid dose pack two months ago but nothing changed. My mouth 4 months ago looked like someone"s with stomatitis following chemotherapy. My continued diminished taste sounds like a post chemotherapy or radiation patient but none of these contributing factors is true for me. I hate eating since it holds no joy for me any longer. I lost about 15 pounds. Tart lemonade tastes pretty good but not much else. I miss my old life with steaks on the grill, a nice red wine or a sweet piece of cake. Most things taste salty, even coffee and milk. Bread is disgusting and gummy. Pork, chicken and beef are all mushy meat. Sweet things don"t taste sweet. My mouth has a sour/bitter taste so now I chew gum to get rid of the taste. My mouth swab 4 months ago indicated a positive herpes simplex, something I never had before.

Comment from: Hardship, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I have a heightened sense of both foul taste and smell for over 8 months. The foul taste and smell never changes. I cannot distinguish smell or taste of almost all foods, chemicals and environmental smells. I have lost over 30 pounds within 3 weeks when my sense of smell and taste changed. I have had every test possible and nothing shows up. Some raw vegetables and berries is pretty much my diet. My doctors are stumped. This started after having a severe sinus infection. It has restricted my ability to enjoy life making it unbearable to socialize.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

In August I had a problem with food. I had no hunger or thirst sensation and there was always a funny taste in my mouth. I had an oral thrush that took two types of medication to get rid of, and I lost 2 and a half stone in three months. I have been tested for cancers etc., but I have no desire for food. I eat to stay alive and sometimes feel like an alien when I see ads for pizza etc., as it has no effect on me anymore. Doctor wanted to prescribe for depression, but I don't feel depressed, just indifferent to food.

Comment from: wattcrest, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 09

I had a viral throat infection.(was told it was herpes) Out of ignorance i took a 6 pack of prednisone. I had a cough and runny nose and my sense of taste was altered. I lost 20 lbs in the next couple of months. A new doctor told me i had allergies and gave me meds including prednisone 12 pack 60 down to 20 mg. He also said he thought I had thrush and gave me meds for that. It is 3 years later and i still have some coughing and my taste seems to change each time i eat - sweet things in particular make my taste change for the worse - one bite of corn on the cob and i don't want anything else on my plate - i do not take anything except a pro-biotic - try every day but just can't figure it out - eat too many fats because they taste ok - wish i could find help

Comment from: Bean, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I am a 49-year-old female and have not been able to taste or smell for three weeks. It is really hard to adjust.

Comment from: Tess, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I am postmenopausal and 54. For six years, I've had severe hot flashes. Now I have a peculiar taste in my mouth. I've been a nurse for more than 30 years, but not sure what this is.

Taste Disorders - Causes Question: What were the causes of your taste disorders?
Taste Disorders - Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your taste disorders?
Taste Disorders - Patient Experience Question: Do you have a taste disorder? Please describe your experience.
Taste Disorders - Treatment Question: What type of treatment did you receive for your taste disorder.