Patient Comments: Taste Disorders - Experience

Question:Please describe your experience with taste disorders.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

In August I had a problem with food. I had no hunger or thirst sensation and there was always a funny taste in my mouth. I had an oral thrush that took two types of medication to get rid of, and I lost 2 and a half stone in three months. I have been tested for cancers etc., but I have no desire for food. I eat to stay alive and sometimes feel like an alien when I see ads for pizza etc., as it has no effect on me anymore. Doctor wanted to prescribe for depression, but I don't feel depressed, just indifferent to food.

Comment from: wattcrest, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 09

I had a viral throat infection.(was told it was herpes) Out of ignorance i took a 6 pack of prednisone. I had a cough and runny nose and my sense of taste was altered. I lost 20 lbs in the next couple of months. A new doctor told me i had allergies and gave me meds including prednisone 12 pack 60 down to 20 mg. He also said he thought I had thrush and gave me meds for that. It is 3 years later and i still have some coughing and my taste seems to change each time i eat - sweet things in particular make my taste change for the worse - one bite of corn on the cob and i don't want anything else on my plate - i do not take anything except a pro-biotic - try every day but just can't figure it out - eat too many fats because they taste ok - wish i could find help

Comment from: Bean, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I am a 49-year-old female and have not been able to taste or smell for three weeks. It is really hard to adjust.

Comment from: Tess, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I am postmenopausal and 54. For six years, I've had severe hot flashes. Now I have a peculiar taste in my mouth. I've been a nurse for more than 30 years, but not sure what this is.

Taste Disorders - Causes Question: What were the causes of your taste disorders?
Taste Disorders - Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your taste disorders?
Taste Disorders - Patient Experience Question: Do you have a taste disorder? Please describe your experience.
Taste Disorders - Treatment Question: What type of treatment did you receive for your taste disorder.