GENERIC NAME: tamsulosin
BRAND NAME: Flomax
GENERIC AVAILABLE: Yes
Flomax is used to treat men who are having problems urinating because of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH).
Flomax is not approved for the treatment of high blood pressure.
SIDE EFFECTS: The most common adverse effects of Flomax are
- anemia (decreased red blood cells),
- decreased white blood cells,
- abnormal taste,
- increased triglycerides, and
Other side effects include
- low blood pressure,
- abdominal pain,
- weight loss,
- muscle pain,
- abnormal ejaculation,
- upper respiratory tract infections, and
MORE SERIOUS SIDE EFFECTS:
The following have been observed in male patients during Flomax treatment:
- orthostatic hypotension (low blood pressure when rising from sitting or lying down position),
- priapism (prolonged erection), and an eye problem called intraoperative floppy iris syndrome (IFIS).
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill identifier tool on RxList.