PREPARATIONS: Tablets: 10 and 20 mg. Solution: 10 mg/5 ml
- Tamoxifen increases the blood thinning effect of warfarin (Coumadin) and reduces blood levels of letrozole (Femara) and anastrozole (Arimidex).
- Phenobarbital and rifampin may reduce blood levels of tamoxifen by increasing the breakdown of tamoxifen.
PREGNANCY AND BREASTFEEDING SAFETY:
- Tamoxifen should not be used during pregnancy because it can harm the fetus.
- It is not known whether tamoxifen is excreted in breast milk. Tamoxifen causes a reduction in milk production. Women taking tamoxifen should not breastfeeding.
STORAGE: Tamoxifen should be stored in a dry place at 15 C - 30 C (59 F - 86 F).
- The dose for metastatic breast cancer treatment, DCIS, and prevention of breast cancer is 10 mg twice daily or 20 mg once daily for 5 years.
- he dose for stimulation of ovulation is 5-40 mg twice daily for 4 days.
- Tamoxifen can be taken with food.
Quick GuideBreast Cancer Diagnosis and Treatment
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill identifier tool on RxList.