Patient Comments: Takayasu Disease - Treatment

What types of treatment have you received for Takayasu disease?

Comment from: dolly, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 17

My son got a high fever so I decided to confine him at the hospital. During his confinement the doctor found out that he had a high blood pressure so he told us to undergo a second echo and duplex ultrasound. In his duplex ultrasound the doctor noticed that he had a stenosis in his left renal artery. Again they referred us to a pediatric nephrologist. After the pediatric nephrologist they referred us to the vascular surgeon, and this doctor requested us to have an angiogram and they found out that my son has Takayasu disease. As of now we are still having series of laboratory tests and they give a medicine that could control his blood pressure.

Comment from: Concerned Mom, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 23

My daughter was diagnosed with juvenile arthritis at the age of 4 and Takayasu arteritis at the age of 16. She is on a gluten free diet. It seems to help symptoms for both. Too much gluten can cause inflammation. It is worth looking into.

Comment from: susan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

My treatment for Takayasu was a Dacron graft. As I understand, it was fitted into my aorta, just under my rib cage, and fed down to my kidneys, where it bypassed the disease. Then the arteries to my kidneys, bowels, and spleen were fitted onto the Dacron graft.

Takayasu Disease - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your Takayasu disease?