Patient Comments: Takayasu Disease - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your Takayasu disease?

Comment from: Terry, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 17

I found out that I had Takayasu disease when I was 18 and tried to get into the service with friends from high school. I was turned down and had to go and have tests and an angiogram. After I got married at 21, I never had any problems until 2011, when I got bronchitis really bad, and then two months later a pain in the back moving to the front. I had an ultrasound and they said I had an aneurysm and told us to go to the county hospital 30 minutes away. We went in and spent about 5 hours and had tests and they could not find anything. I had another problem with severe neck pain about 4 months after that, then started having problems with breathing, and was diagnosed with asthma, which now we think was one of the symptoms of Takayasu. I will be talking to a vascular surgeon soon.

Comment from: Teresa, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

I was diagnosed with Takayasu disease 18 years ago and told that I could only expect 5 to 10 years. I have had 8 lots of surgery. I was unaware that my eyes would be affected, although I have tears/holes in both retinas. Most of the time I have anemia, tiredness and random aches and pains, and now have developed atrial fibrillation (AF). I have never had treatment as such apart from the surgeries, although I am now taking warfarin and that seems to help stop the aneurysms being under pressure.

Comment from: ace, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

Before diagnosis of Takayasu disease, I had extreme pain in arms when raising to wash hair, joint pain in lower extremities, no blood pressure in upper extremities, lower only, and Raynaud's phenomenon in fingers. Subclavian arteries are closing down and I had stents inserted the end of 2006. I am still in remission taking Plavix daily and Arava once a week. I am doing great and still playing tennis and go to the gym.

Comment from: Marie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

With Takayasu disease I experienced extreme fatigue, low grade fever, weight loss, weakness in both arms and difficulty chewing due to claudication of the carotid artery.

Comment from: s, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

My symptoms with Takayasu disease are high blood pressure, dizziness, claudication in hands and legs and fatigue.

Comment from: evelyn, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 08

My son is 14 and has lost his vision to left eye and the right eye now is 20/400 (legally blind) and all within one year. We have had him tested and evaluated by ophthalmologists, and rheumatologist but nothing definite other than working diagnosis of optic neuritis/vasculitis of unknown cause. Initially he was treated with steroids but no response and currently he is not taking anything except vitamins we decided to give him to slow the progression of his vision loss. We are out of options as parents.

Comment from: susan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

My symptoms with Takayasu included high blood pressure and intermittent claudication in my legs while walking. I always felt tired.

Takayasu Disease - Treatment Question: What types of treatment have you received for Takayasu disease?