- Heartburn Slideshow: Foods to Eat, Foods to Avoid
- 10 Facts About the Amazing Brain
- Weight Gain Shockers Slideshow Pictures
- What brand names are available for tacrolimus?
- Is tacrolimus available as a generic drug?
- Do I need a prescription for tacrolimus?
- What are the uses for tacrolimus?
- What are the side effects of tacrolimus?
- What is the dosage for tacrolimus?
- Is tacrolimus safe to take if I'm pregnant or breastfeeding?
- What else should I know about tacrolimus?
What brand names are available for tacrolimus?
Prograf, Astagraf XL, Envarsus XR
Is tacrolimus available as a generic drug?
GENERIC AVAILABLE: Yes
Do I need a prescription for tacrolimus?
What are the uses for tacrolimus?
- Tacrolimus is used for the prevention of rejection of transplanted kidneys, liver, or heart.
- It can be combined with steroids, azathioprine (Imuran Azasan) or mycophenolate mofetil (CellCept).
What are the side effects of tacrolimus?
Tacrolimus is associated with many and various side effects. These include:
- loss of appetite,
- high concentrations of potassium in the blood,
- high blood pressure,
- tingling sensation in the extremities,
- high blood sugar concentrations, and
- abdominal pain.
Other side effects include
- painful joints,
- increased sensitivity to light,
- blurred vision,
- jaundice (yellowing of the skin due to effects on the liver),
- kidney injury,
- swollen ankles, and
Quick GuidePrescription Drug Abuse: Know The Warning Signs
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill identifier tool on RxList.