GENERIC NAME: tacrolimus
BRAND NAME: Prograf, Astagraf XL, Envarsus XR
DISCONTINUED BRAND: Hecoria
GENERIC AVAILABLE: Yes
- Tacrolimus is used for the prevention of rejection of transplanted kidneys, liver, or heart.
- It can be combined with steroids, azathioprine (Imuran Azasan) or mycophenolate mofetil (CellCept).
Tacrolimus is associated with many and various side effects. These include:
- loss of appetite,
- high concentrations of potassium in the blood,
- high blood pressure,
- tingling sensation in the extremities,
- high blood sugar concentrations, and
- abdominal pain.
Other side effects include
- painful joints,
- increased sensitivity to light,
- blurred vision,
- jaundice (yellowing of the skin due to effects on the liver),
- kidney injury,
- swollen ankles, and
Quick GuidePrescription Drug Abuse: Know The Warning Signs
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill identifier tool on RxList.