Patient Comments: Lupus - Symptoms

The symptoms of lupus can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Published: June 24

I started with the low grade fevers in the night, then the pain in my chest, joints. Became very light sensitive. Drying of the eyes and complete fatigue, it is only recently after a hospital visit that I started my treatment for the symptoms.

Published: June 24

I am 34 years old and I have had Lupus for 10 years. I was first diagnosed with Lupus after having strep throat three times and being treated with antibiotic and it wouldn't go away. I went to a Rheumatologist and we began testing, something I have learned about Lupus is test results can vary so always get them repeated and get a second opinion if need be.

Published: June 19

I had hair loss, discovered by my hair stylist who suggested I see a dermatologist. He treated me for what he believed was Alopecia Areata for the first year, during which my hair slowly filled in with Cortizone shots to the affected scalp area. Then I discovered a rash on a small area on top of my forearm. Once again my hair stylist suggested I see a dermatologist. He saw the rash on my forearm & discovered small affected areas on my face I hadn't noticed. Seeing the rash & recalling the Alopecia treatment, my dermatologist diagnosed me with Lupus & ran a standard test confirming it & advised me to follow up with my primary physician. I don't know what would have happened if it weren't for my hair stylist life-saving suggestions and a dermatologist willing to look into my symptoms as more than just a routine rash treatment.

Published: June 19

Fatigue, migraines, Raynaud syndrome, arthritis. Then I developed low grade fever usually at night. After a few years of that, nerve problems resulting in peripheral neuropathy and the exhaustion became overwhelming. Also, nausea.

Published: June 16

Mostly joint pain that sometime prevent me from getting in and out of bed.

Published: June 16

My Lupus...step by step. The very first symptom I had was tender spots all over my body, aching pain, fatigue, and frequent migraines. Confusion and memory loss going beyond simply misplacing my keys. Now, I don't drive very far from home. 2 nd stage was increase pain throughout my body, constant twitching of my muscles and tightening of the right side of my face. 3 rd. The pain in my extremitas increased, then I became so clumsy that I began falling down. 4th diagnosed with polyneuropathy. 5th I've become very clumsy, not having 100% control of my walk or fine motor skills, I have thrown away my high heels and now wear only the wide cross trainer tennis shoes to improve my balance. 6th I now have a weakened immune system. It is common place for me to have at least one infection or two at all times. These infections hang on and on.

Published: June 16

I had severe weakness and arthritis in my hands. It starts with my thumbs, then fingers, then palm this was then followed by fatigue and photosensitivity.

Published: June 10

Frequent sore throat, fatigue, joint pain and aches, butterfly rash, general feeling of malaise.

Published: June 09

Several years ago I started having right knee pain. I ignored it, just blamed it on getting older, probably a touch of arthritis. I was only diagnosed a few months ago as having Lupus. I've gone from just one knee hurting to angles, knees, hands, elbows & shoulders. I almost always have pain in one spot in my upper left chest, & below my right scapula. I'm always exhausted, no matter how much sleep I get, but at the same time, I don't sleep well, toss & turn a lot. At times my face is so red I look like it has been painted on. It is difficult for me to complete tasks. I'm hoping medication will help soon.

Lupus - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with lupus.
Lupus - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment have you received for your systemic lupus?