Patient Comments: Swollen Lymph Nodes - Causes

What caused your swollen lymph nodes?

A Doctor's View on Sore Throat: Is It Mono?

Sometimes it is difficult to determine if a sore throat is a symptoms of mono because sore throat is one of the many symptoms of several diseases or conditions. Epstein-Barr virus is the virus that causes mononucleosis. Symptoms of mono and strep throat are common and include a sore throat, swollen lymph noes, and fever. Your doctor can order tests to determine if your sore throat and swollen lymph nodes are caused by strep throat or mono. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: Rossi, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I"m a little bit worried about the swollen lymph node that I have on my left side of my neck. Back in November of 2013 I had the flu and I noticed that swollen node around the left side of my neck, so I went to my doctor and she said that it was going to go away soon. After a month and half I went back to see if she could run some other test and she did. First she did an x-ray and she couldn"t see anything so she send me again to do CT scan and after a week I called her for the results and I was really upset because she said the lymph node was around 2 centimeters. But she thinks it is just fat tissue and nothing else to worry, but she said if you still concerned about it you can go to a specialist I can refer you to. But it's been almost 2 months after she told me that and the swollen lymph node still there.

Comment from: Flaggirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I have had fibromyalgia for many years and Sjogren's syndrome for a couple of years. Both are autoimmune diseases and fibromyalgia really messes with collagen. Sjogren's identifies the destruction of at least parts of nodes. I suspect the two work together to enhance the destructiveness.

Comment from: chevyboy, 19-24 Male Published: January 20

I just started eating dinner and about 3 to 4 bite's in, my tongue started tensing up and then a knot the size of a golf ball started to appear, by then, swelling started growing around the know that appeared underneath the left side of my jaw bone, it's been a few days now, but every time I eat something it starts swelling up again and hurting, the knot is still there thought. But not long after I quit eating the pain and swelling goes away.

Comment from: vikings1, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 27

I had a heart ablation done about 3 months ago to correct a-fib. During a follow-up appointment I had a CT of my chest. One of the nodes in my chest was enlarged. The ablation seems to have been successful, but to be safe about the node I had blood work done and am supposed to get a follow-up CT in three months. I have never smoked and have had little to no exposure to asbestos. I am 44. How concerned should I be? I have no other symptoms or health problems and exercise regularly without breathing difficulty.

Comment from: CuriousLady, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 20

I have yet to know the cause of my lymph node. I have been having swollen lymph node for approx. 8 years on and off, when I was 16 years old. The first time I had the swollen lymph node (size of a fish ball), the doctor just brushed it off as 'normal.' I came back to see a different doctor only after 7 1/2 years (due to it being swollen and tender, on and off). I did a blood test and unfortunately my ANA (anti-nuclear antibodies) was slightly below the positive level which is intermediate. There's different level of ANA (negative, intermediate and positive). I'm on a 6-mth medical check-up, hopefully. I'll know the cause of it soon. As I'm currently experiencing swollen neck lymph node NOW!

Comment from: Piko44, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 11

I have been in the military for 16 years and recently I discovered that I have enlarge lymph nodes. I wonder if the vaccination I received while deployed could have that effect.

Comment from: manisa, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I had swollen nodes in inguinal and cervical region with allergic rashes after viral fever.

Swollen Lymph Nodes - Diagnosis Question: Please describe your diagnosis of swollen lymph nodes.
Swollen Lymph Nodes - Symptoms Question: In addition to swelling, what were the other symptoms of your swollen lymph nodes?
Swollen Lymph Nodes - Complications Question: What complications did you experience with swollen lymph nodes?