Patient Comments: Swollen Lymph Nodes - Causes

What caused your swollen lymph nodes?

A Doctor's View on Sore Throat: Is It Mono?

Sometimes it is difficult to determine if a sore throat is a symptoms of mono because sore throat is one of the many symptoms of several diseases or conditions. Epstein-Barr virus is the virus that causes mononucleosis. Symptoms of mono and strep throat are common and include a sore throat, swollen lymph noes, and fever. Your doctor can order tests to determine if your sore throat and swollen lymph nodes are caused by strep throat or mono. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: TS, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

First things first; if you do research and start reading medical reports on cat scratch disease, some will say 1 episode confers lifelong immunity. Not true. I am currently suffering from my 2nd infection from it, almost 25 years from after the 1st infection. The first time I had pneumonia/flu type symptoms, and went on Cipro within 48 hours. I don't recall how long it took it to be fully resolved. But the symptoms were limited to coughing, high fever, headaches, swollen glands near ears, pain in throat. This time, the symptoms are remarkably different; low-grade fevers, swollen lymph nodes in the back of neck and in the arms, terrible arm pain originating from near elbows, ulcerations under the eyelids with eye pain, pain in throat, migraine headaches, and abdominal pain, anxiety and agitation. I'm now entering the 3rd month, and I am not doing antibiotics this time, but rather just vitamins, supplements and a variety of other helpful herbs and natural food items. Everything has pretty much abated except for the arm pain.

Comment from: dogone, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

My eustachian tubes are blocked. Because of chronic sinusitis and repeated ear infections, I am having tubes surgically put in my ears. During this period of time I found the lymph nodes highest in my neck to be sore and swollen doubtless dealing with the surrounding infections.

Comment from: worried, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

I have swollen glands under my ears, along jaw bone had blood work done. I don't have HIV and my doctor says it is due to allergies. But it has been there for 4 months and I am really worried. I have no pain but the lymph nodes swell big when I am lying down, and when up and walking around they go down. I wonder if it is really glands or sinus drain. I also have arthritis in my shoulder.

Comment from: Ram, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 29

I was long back diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma (HL), some 15 years back. A relapse and stem cell transplant later it's been 12-13 years and I have been under remission. I usually have lymph nodes around the side of my neck when I have had a cold or bad cough for more than 1 month and usually 4-5 of them flare up in total on the sides of my neck. My own experience is that the lesser I fidget in trying to feel them and concentrate on my work, greater the chance they disappear. Anyway they usually do subside within 3 weeks, but seriously guys HL is a worry if you have associated symptoms. I lost weight, 76 to 66 in 1 month and used to sweat like a pig even under AC. So while keeping tab of your nodes, no point in fretting over them. Even if it is HL, what choice do you have but to fight it out!

Comment from: Lou, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I noticed a small swelling under my jaw. My physician and ENT specialist didn't think it was serious but agreed to do a biopsy. I was diagnosed with cancer of the left tonsil that had spread to the lymph node. I did not have any other symptoms. Never ignore a lump, I am sure glad I didn't.

Comment from: marko1953, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 13

I have a swollen lymph node in the right side of my neck. This was determined by a CT scan. It is quite painful, I was told that therapy could help with the pain.

Comment from: BG1kanobe, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 22

I recently had strep throat and developed an enlarged lymph node on the right side of my neck that has not decreased in size over six weeks now. It hurts a little bit when I move my neck around.

Swollen Lymph Nodes - Diagnosis Question: Please describe your diagnosis of swollen lymph nodes.
Swollen Lymph Nodes - Symptoms Question: In addition to swelling, what were the other symptoms of your swollen lymph nodes?
Swollen Lymph Nodes - Complications Question: What complications did you experience with swollen lymph nodes?