Patient Comments: Swollen Lymph Nodes - Causes

What caused your swollen lymph nodes?

Comment from: Mary, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

The back of my neck/hairline always swells up every time I dye my hair. I know I'm allergic to the dye and I regret it every time I do it. My scalp gets really dry and itchy. And wherever the dye touch, I get a bumpy red rash that gets really warm and itchy! I never saw a doctor for it, I figured I'd stay away from dyeing my hair. But I just recently did it again, impulse move thinking that I should be able to handle it. But it's painful! My lymph nodes swell up like crazy too! I take ibuprofen/Tylenol to get rid of the pain and I take 2 showers to wash my head for some relief and maybe dilute the chemicals that's on my scalp!

Comment from: Anjelina, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 17

I had a root canal done two months ago, since then I've been having pain at the site along with some swelling. I went back to the dentist. X-ran done, showed nothing. By that time it was getting very painful. Having difficulty chewing my food. So, after much insisting, the dentist finally opted to cut open my gum line a couple days ago and found a piece of tooth in there with lots of discharge. He cleaned it out and put me on pen V. Now I feel my glands are swollen.

Comment from: Tazzy, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 21

About 3weeks ago I noticed I had a raised lump in more right groin. Initially the doctor thought I had a hernia. However, a scan revealed I had several reactive lymph nodes. I have also had a blood test and this came back fine. The doctor said that I have had an infection and the lymph nodes are fighting the infection and that's why they are still swollen. Last year I got two tattoos on my legs.

Comment from: suartel, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I have had a swollen area on the right side of my neck for over 2 yrs. They did an ultrasound to confirm what it was (muscle, soft tissue). It turned out it was 2 lymph nodes. No one seems concerned. I have had bloodwork at least 3 times and once the eosinophils were high but since all other bloodwork turned out okay, they determined it had to be my allergies causing them to be swollen. I get bloodwork at least once a year and have just been keeping an eye on it. But they don't really hurt and they are soft and moveable so I am not much concerned either.

Comment from: sue, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

I had my left kidney removed in July, 2010 due to a cancerous cyst, on my latest CT Scan a swollen lymph node was noted, and to be checked again in 3 months.

Swollen Lymph Nodes - Diagnosis Question: Please describe your diagnosis of swollen lymph nodes.
Swollen Lymph Nodes - Symptoms Question: In addition to swelling, what were the other symptoms of your swollen lymph nodes?
Swollen Lymph Nodes - Complications Question: What complications did you experience with swollen lymph nodes?