Patient Comments: Swollen Lymph Nodes - Causes

What caused your swollen lymph nodes?

Comment from: Aimdog, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

During the past month, I have had several painful swollen lymph nodes or lumps develop. The first one was on my chest, just to the left of my right breast. That one stayed sore for a few days. Then I noticed a couple on my ribs. Two more developed in my groin area on each side of the pubic bone. They remained painful for several days, then they seemed to be gone. Two days ago, I developed two spots on my upper rib cage near my armpit. My doctor seems to think nothing about them. I have chronic pain and fibromyalgia and thought maybe this was related. I don't ever feel good and have constant malaise as well and am getting very concerned. Back in October, I was diagnosed with pneumonia after having severe chest pains. The CAT scan revealed infiltrates. The only problem with that was I had no symptoms of pneumonia at all. Two weeks later, I was back in the hospital with light chest pain, extreme weakness and malaise. I was told I didn't have it. I had an elevated white blood count and a high SED rate. I still don't know what was wrong with me. I'm getting a little worried.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I'm HIV+ which is responsible for my swollen lymph nodes.

Comment from: K.C., 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

Three months ago, a swelling started under the skin on the right side of my jawbone. Right now it is about the size of a golf ball. It doesn't hurt, but one has now started to appear on the left side as well.

Comment from: lebtown, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 10

I had a tick removed from the right side of my head. About a week later I had an enlarged lymph node in the back of my neck on the right side. I went to the doctor and they tested me for mono and lyme disease. Both came back negative. The next week I had another enlarged lymph node in the right side of my neck. The next week another behind my right ear. I was given penicillin. I had horrible pain beginning behind my right ear radiating down my jaw. I was diagnosed with trigeminal neuralgia; however I had an appointment at the dentist. I mentioned the pain and lymph nodes to him and a couple x-rays later he found an abscessed tooth that the cavity had tunneled right into the nerve. He fixed that and I was given amoxicillin and Tylenol, and am back on track.

Comment from: joanne, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I had swollen lymph nodes under my left ear and jaw line 3 years ago, after 2 courses of antibiotics and 6-7 months they reduced back to normal, however this morning I have awoken to a small gland just under my ear lobe swollen, there is nothing wrong with me I feel fine, don't even have a cold so I'm going to see if it reduces back to normal, if not I'm making a doctor's appointment as I have no idea what is causing this.

Comment from: The king, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: April 04

I was looking on this website and looked at the lymph node swelling causes because I have some swelling too. I then looked up the Hodgkin's disease cause and the guy in the video said he had a pain in the middle of his shoulder blades which scared me because I had the same pain sometimes. The pain isn't consistent though. It sort of just felt like a pinched nerve or something.

Comment from: Kelly N, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I awoke one morning to a swollen lymph node on the left side of my neck one morning. It wasnt painful but went to ER anyway. Found out I had stage 3 Hodgkin's Lymphoma. Never ignore symptoms just because they our body is trying to tell you something.

Swollen Lymph Nodes - Diagnosis Question: Please describe your diagnosis of swollen lymph nodes.
Swollen Lymph Nodes - Symptoms Question: In addition to swelling, what were the other symptoms of your swollen lymph nodes?
Swollen Lymph Nodes - Complications Question: What complications did you experience with swollen lymph nodes?