Patient Comments: Swollen Lymph Nodes - Causes

What caused your swollen lymph nodes?

Comment from: page, Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I developed swollen lymph nodes on the head, neck, shoulders and thighs one month ago. First, I had a flu and sore throat. I went to see a doctor and get tested. Now I am taking antibiotics and am going to do further tests.

Comment from: mable, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 21

I have swollen lymph nodes in the underarms, soft and mobile. The ESR is 19.

Comment from: Piko44, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 11

I have been in the military for 16 years and recently I discovered that I have enlarge lymph nodes. I wonder if the vaccination I received while deployed could have that effect.

Comment from: manisa, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I had swollen nodes in inguinal and cervical region with allergic rashes after viral fever.

Comment from: nrc, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

about 10 years ago I went to the doctor with a large red rash on my stomach - I had no other symptoms other than I was exhausted all the time. My doctor was out and an intern doing his medical round in my doctors office said that I had symptoms of Sarcoidosis. He said I should be tested. Sure enough I had 40 swollen lymph nodes in my stomach, spleen and lungs. Since I had been diagnosed a lot of things made sense. I have trouble breathing now because it is more in the lungs. But I am still functional and use an inhaler to minimize the affects. I had just about every test before this. They did a punch biopsy of the rash and all kind of blood tests. So if there is not a reason for your lymph nodes swelling you might ask about Sarcoidosis.

Comment from: truth seeker, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

About 7 years ago I had all my amalgam fillings removed. For the 5 years prior to that, I was starting to experience autoimmune symptoms. I started reading about them and found that in other countries they have made the connection to mercury and amalgam fillings. I had the safest method used for removal which is a rubber dam. However, after each treatment my lymph glands in my neck and behind my ears became quite inflamed and painful. My tongue turned yellow on the side the fillings were being removed on the first dentist visit. Ever since then, my lymph system in my head and neck are sensitive. I had one of my back molars removed recently which stirred up things. Also I tried to take an OTC treatment for hot flashes, and within days my neck around my throat became inflamed and sore. I am in the process of testing, having ruled out infection, thyroid, and had an ultrasound done. The ultrasound showed enlarged lymph nodes on both sides of my neck. I do know mercury has played a big role in this but my traditional MDs do not have training on this. I have only found support through NDs which are naturopathic doctors with 4 year medical school training. I am to have further scans with contrast and a biopsy next.

Comment from: jenna2323, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I have had swollen lymph nodes for 8 months now. So I got checked out, blood testing, and some other test. He said I was fine, you know your body when there is something wrong!! They are all on my collar bone area, in the neck area, behind my neck, that one is big! Now I have big red bumps on my tongue and toward the back of my throat.

Comment from: Madison, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I woke up one morning with sore underarms the day after finishing being on one steroid and two antibiotics to treat pneumonia that I had a week before. I do have RA but in a recent blood test my inflammation rate had gone back to normal. I am always tired too. The doctor felt and found small swollen lymph nodes but still doesn't know.

Swollen Lymph Nodes - Diagnosis Question: Please describe your diagnosis of swollen lymph nodes.
Swollen Lymph Nodes - Symptoms Question: In addition to swelling, what were the other symptoms of your swollen lymph nodes?
Swollen Lymph Nodes - Complications Question: What complications did you experience with swollen lymph nodes?