Patient Comments: Swollen Lymph Nodes - Diagnosis

Please describe your diagnosis of swollen lymph nodes.

Comment from: Jay, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I have had two types of cancer, colon and pancreatic. One third of my colon was removed in 2005 and I had Whipple surgery for the pancreatic cancer on 12/30/09. Now I have new lymph nodes developing attached to my renal artery. There is also a tumor growing very slowly in the body and tail of my pancreas. There is swelling in the new lymph nodes.

Comment from: DNJ4EVR, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 29

My husband had severe pain in his right groin. He then developed a fever that, in total, lasted 2 weeks, up and down along with night sweats. His fever would spike in the evening. Most days he could go to work, but felt awful. Almost immediately after the fever he developed a lump in his groin where the severe pain was located and it was getting worse. We then decided to go to the emergency room. They felt it was a swollen lymph node and viral and would take care of itself. Well, it did not subside and we decided to go to our family doctor who felt it was infection and put him on a strong antibiotic. This did nothing and he developed abdominal pain and vomiting which sent him to the emergency room again. They admitted him and did more testing as they couldn't find a cause. A team of oncologists figured it was either infectious or cancer and decided to remove the lymph. The surgeon said that the lymph node was a mess and just fell apart upon removal. He was in the hospital for 5 days and when the pathology report came back we found out that it was not cancer but was infectious and the results were almost conclusive of cat scratch disease. He did have a puncture wound from our kitten on his right foot that wouldn't heal, but we never linked the two together. He is feeling much better now and on the mend.

Comment from: gigi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I had/have swollen lymph nodes in my neck both sides to the armpit, it affected my hearing as well. I could not walk 10 feet without feeling like I ran 20 miles. I told my dad and he said it sounds like the mumps. I felt like it was meningitis and the mumps. I went to the emergency room and the doctor after a two minute exam said cat scratch fever. So now after months all this had started with parasites.

Comment from: ct10, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I had a severe earache which caused swelling inside the ear and the lymph nodes around the ear also swelled making me look like I had the mumps. After 5 days the lymph nodes around my neck also started swelling and moved to the right side causing that ear to also swell inside and out. My forehead looked as if I had a severe sunburn and is now actually peeling as if I did burn. My doctor did a blood test that showed I had rheumatoid arthritis. The only thing she zeroed in on was the rash on my forehead, I wonder how this rash helped her reach this conclusion.

Comment from: Marie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I have two small hard lumps in the left groin. I had groin pain about three weeks ago and my doctor prescribed antibiotics for a slight bladder infection.

Comment from: Carrie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

Yesterday morning I noticed a lump under my left armpit. It feels tender to the touch. Day 2 it feels more swollen and my inner elbow now feels tender to the touch and slightly swollen.

Swollen Lymph Nodes - Causes Question: What caused your swollen lymph nodes?
Swollen Lymph Nodes - Symptoms Question: In addition to swelling, what were the other symptoms of your swollen lymph nodes?
Swollen Lymph Nodes - Complications Question: What complications did you experience with swollen lymph nodes?