Patient Comments: Swollen Lymph Nodes - Diagnosis

Please describe your diagnosis of swollen lymph nodes.

Comment from: Marko 1953, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 13

I have a swollen lymph node on the right side of my neck, this was determined by a CT scan. The doctor said that it is not cancerous. It is the size of a small marble, it is quite painful and I was told that therapy could help with the pain.

Comment from: sschepp, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I started out with bronchitis and then was treated for asthma for 8 months. After numerous pulmonary doctor visits and 3 emergency room visits they finally did a CT scan that showed scattered lymph node swellings over my whole body. After removal of a lymph node I was diagnosed with MCD (multicentric Castleman's disease). It is an autoimmune disease that is very rare. They also think that I have Churg-Strauss syndrome which is another rare auto immune disease. We are most likely going to get a lung biopsy to check on the Churg-Strauss. I just finished my 6 dose of Sylvant for the Castleman's and am waiting to see the results.

Comment from: loretta, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

About a month ago I had pain and severe night sweating. I felt a lymph node on the side of my neck discovered 3 months ago quite big. I had a mastectomy 41 years ago at the age of 29. One of a twin identical, she also had a mastectomy 4 years after me and died at the age of 38. I saw a doctor and blood tests showed an infection and I was put on antibiotics for a week. I wonder if the node will go away or if I should have a biopsy done. I am just worried.

Comment from: Nuki, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 26

I am 26 and I had a partial thyroidectomy 11 years ago. Recently via ultrasound and biopsy I found out that that I got a new, very small sized nodule/goiter in the left thyroid gland (which was not operated). Doctors said it has a normal range, but required checkup. Now, all of a sudden I felt some small nodule like tissue under the right jaw of my neck. I got extremely worried, thinking that I might have gotten a second nodule now. However, I have been sick recently with cold, sore throat, coughing, running nose, even fever once. Then it struck me that it is possible that I might just have a swollen lymph due to my sickness.

Comment from: JenniferMom, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

Something positive in a sea of negative. I do not have lymphoma. Sigh! I have spent countless hours researching and playing Google doctor. I was certain I had lymphoma. I just found out a few hours back I did not have it. I have lots of cervical swollen lymph nodes, a few in my groin, and one that I can feel in my left armpit. The one in my neck was 1.2 cm when they took it out. The one is my armpit is close to that size. All others are enlarged but not considered abnormal. I have had blood work, CT scan with contrast (neck only), chest x-ray, and now I have had a lymph node biopsy (node removed from my neck). I now need to go down the path of what else could be causing this. My surgeon is in surgery today and my general doctor doesn't work Mondays, so hopefully tomorrow I learn what to do next. I will end up sharing my entire story when I know what it is, but for now I wanted to add another positive story into the sea of negative. I have had mononucleosis before in my adolescence. I am currently a 31 year old female. I am active and a fairly healthy eater. I have two kids, I am currently nursing my youngest, so I wonder if the biopsy was a false negative. If it's not cancer then why in the world do I have so many swollen nodes! I do not have any other symptoms. The lymph nodes do not hurt. I have been camping so the next thing I wonder for is Lyme disease, but no symptoms of similarity other than swollen nodes. Good luck to everyone!

Comment from: t. russo, Female (Patient) Published: October 26

I got a swollen lymph node 3 days ago, it is badly swollen. I went to the hospital and they gave me 500 mg amoxicillin 3/day. It doesnt work and doctor doesnt seem to care. I got 2 more last night. I feel like I have an infection in my body.

Swollen Lymph Nodes - Causes Question: What caused your swollen lymph nodes?
Swollen Lymph Nodes - Symptoms Question: In addition to swelling, what were the other symptoms of your swollen lymph nodes?
Swollen Lymph Nodes - Complications Question: What complications did you experience with swollen lymph nodes?