Patient Comments: Swollen Lymph Nodes - Diagnosis

Please describe your diagnosis of swollen lymph nodes.

Comment from: gigi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I had/have swollen lymph nodes in my neck both sides to the armpit, it affected my hearing as well. I could not walk 10 feet without feeling like I ran 20 miles. I told my dad and he said it sounds like the mumps. I felt like it was meningitis and the mumps. I went to the emergency room and the doctor after a two minute exam said cat scratch fever. So now after months all this had started with parasites.

Comment from: DNJ4EVR, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 29

My husband had severe pain in his right groin. He then developed a fever that, in total, lasted 2 weeks, up and down along with night sweats. His fever would spike in the evening. Most days he could go to work, but felt awful. Almost immediately after the fever he developed a lump in his groin where the severe pain was located and it was getting worse. We then decided to go to the emergency room. They felt it was a swollen lymph node and viral and would take care of itself. Well, it did not subside and we decided to go to our family doctor who felt it was infection and put him on a strong antibiotic. This did nothing and he developed abdominal pain and vomiting which sent him to the emergency room again. They admitted him and did more testing as they couldn't find a cause. A team of oncologists figured it was either infectious or cancer and decided to remove the lymph. The surgeon said that the lymph node was a mess and just fell apart upon removal. He was in the hospital for 5 days and when the pathology report came back we found out that it was not cancer but was infectious and the results were almost conclusive of cat scratch disease. He did have a puncture wound from our kitten on his right foot that wouldn't heal, but we never linked the two together. He is feeling much better now and on the mend.

Comment from: ct10, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I had a severe earache which caused swelling inside the ear and the lymph nodes around the ear also swelled making me look like I had the mumps. After 5 days the lymph nodes around my neck also started swelling and moved to the right side causing that ear to also swell inside and out. My forehead looked as if I had a severe sunburn and is now actually peeling as if I did burn. My doctor did a blood test that showed I had rheumatoid arthritis. The only thing she zeroed in on was the rash on my forehead, I wonder how this rash helped her reach this conclusion.

Comment from: jjjjjjjjjjjjj, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

My lymph nodes behind my ears are swollen since I had a cervical fusion a year and a half ago. They took the bone from my hip.

Comment from: Amna, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I've noticed that I had a swollen lymph node on the right side of my neck about two weeks ago, my overall health is ok, I exercise every day and I eat healthy food. I've had exams last month and I was extremely stressed during that period. I wonder if it is possible that this has occurred due to stress or if there is a chance for another reason.

Comment from: S. Ketkar, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 22

My wife is a patient of swollen lymph nodes and the submandibular gland. She was operated 6 years back (2009) and her left submandibular gland was removed. She had severe pains at left of neck under the ear and severe pains in ear and head region. Now after 6 years she had the same symptoms but found a hard knot at the same place surrounding the lymph node in the area. CT scan was done and report showed the swelling of nodes covered with the mass accumulated around it. At last she was operated at the same place and two lymph nodes were removed by surgery.

Comment from: Janine, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

I showered around 7 pm on Thursday the 3rd of September and noticed a swelling under my right armpit. It hurts if I press on it, and it is like a nagging pain all the way into my breast. I'm kind of worried because I have been itching in both of my arms and only up in the forearm area. I don't have any cuts or bad bruising. I am very concerned. Cancer is in my family on both sides, my mother's and my dad's.

Swollen Lymph Nodes - Causes Question: What caused your swollen lymph nodes?
Swollen Lymph Nodes - Symptoms Question: In addition to swelling, what were the other symptoms of your swollen lymph nodes?
Swollen Lymph Nodes - Complications Question: What complications did you experience with swollen lymph nodes?