Patient Comments: Swollen Lymph Nodes - Diagnosis

Please describe your diagnosis of swollen lymph nodes.

Comment from: Nuki, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 26

I am 26 and I had a partial thyroidectomy 11 years ago. Recently via ultrasound and biopsy I found out that that I got a new, very small sized nodule/goiter in the left thyroid gland (which was not operated). Doctors said it has a normal range, but required checkup. Now, all of a sudden I felt some small nodule like tissue under the right jaw of my neck. I got extremely worried, thinking that I might have gotten a second nodule now. However, I have been sick recently with cold, sore throat, coughing, running nose, even fever once. Then it struck me that it is possible that I might just have a swollen lymph due to my sickness.

Comment from: JenniferMom, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

Something positive in a sea of negative. I do not have lymphoma. Sigh! I have spent countless hours researching and playing Google doctor. I was certain I had lymphoma. I just found out a few hours back I did not have it. I have lots of cervical swollen lymph nodes, a few in my groin, and one that I can feel in my left armpit. The one in my neck was 1.2 cm when they took it out. The one is my armpit is close to that size. All others are enlarged but not considered abnormal. I have had blood work, CT scan with contrast (neck only), chest x-ray, and now I have had a lymph node biopsy (node removed from my neck). I now need to go down the path of what else could be causing this. My surgeon is in surgery today and my general doctor doesn't work Mondays, so hopefully tomorrow I learn what to do next. I will end up sharing my entire story when I know what it is, but for now I wanted to add another positive story into the sea of negative. I have had mononucleosis before in my adolescence. I am currently a 31 year old female. I am active and a fairly healthy eater. I have two kids, I am currently nursing my youngest, so I wonder if the biopsy was a false negative. If it's not cancer then why in the world do I have so many swollen nodes! I do not have any other symptoms. The lymph nodes do not hurt. I have been camping so the next thing I wonder for is Lyme disease, but no symptoms of similarity other than swollen nodes. Good luck to everyone!

Comment from: Peggy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 12

The lymph node under my left arm has been swollen since August when I was diagnosed with atrial fibrillation. The atrial fibrillation is now under control but the pain still generates down the inside of my left arm from the armpit to almost the elbow. My doctor had me take a mammogram which came back normal, and manually checked my breasts and couldn't find anything. She has checked my lungs with the stethoscope and all sounds normal. I'm seeing a surgeon tomorrow to see if I need a biopsy of my lymph nodes.

Comment from: Jay, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I have had two types of cancer, colon and pancreatic. One third of my colon was removed in 2005 and I had Whipple surgery for the pancreatic cancer on 12/30/09. Now I have new lymph nodes developing attached to my renal artery. There is also a tumor growing very slowly in the body and tail of my pancreas. There is swelling in the new lymph nodes.

Comment from: gigi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I had/have swollen lymph nodes in my neck both sides to the armpit, it affected my hearing as well. I could not walk 10 feet without feeling like I ran 20 miles. I told my dad and he said it sounds like the mumps. I felt like it was meningitis and the mumps. I went to the emergency room and the doctor after a two minute exam said cat scratch fever. So now after months all this had started with parasites.

Comment from: DNJ4EVR, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 29

My husband had severe pain in his right groin. He then developed a fever that, in total, lasted 2 weeks, up and down along with night sweats. His fever would spike in the evening. Most days he could go to work, but felt awful. Almost immediately after the fever he developed a lump in his groin where the severe pain was located and it was getting worse. We then decided to go to the emergency room. They felt it was a swollen lymph node and viral and would take care of itself. Well, it did not subside and we decided to go to our family doctor who felt it was infection and put him on a strong antibiotic. This did nothing and he developed abdominal pain and vomiting which sent him to the emergency room again. They admitted him and did more testing as they couldn't find a cause. A team of oncologists figured it was either infectious or cancer and decided to remove the lymph. The surgeon said that the lymph node was a mess and just fell apart upon removal. He was in the hospital for 5 days and when the pathology report came back we found out that it was not cancer but was infectious and the results were almost conclusive of cat scratch disease. He did have a puncture wound from our kitten on his right foot that wouldn't heal, but we never linked the two together. He is feeling much better now and on the mend.

Swollen Lymph Nodes - Causes Question: What caused your swollen lymph nodes?
Swollen Lymph Nodes - Symptoms Question: In addition to swelling, what were the other symptoms of your swollen lymph nodes?
Swollen Lymph Nodes - Complications Question: What complications did you experience with swollen lymph nodes?