Patient Comments: Swollen Lymph Nodes - Diagnosis

Please describe your diagnosis of swollen lymph nodes.

Comment from: S. Ketkar, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 22

My wife is a patient of swollen lymph nodes and the submandibular gland. She was operated 6 years back (2009) and her left submandibular gland was removed. She had severe pains at left of neck under the ear and severe pains in ear and head region. Now after 6 years she had the same symptoms but found a hard knot at the same place surrounding the lymph node in the area. CT scan was done and report showed the swelling of nodes covered with the mass accumulated around it. At last she was operated at the same place and two lymph nodes were removed by surgery.

Comment from: Janine, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

I showered around 7 pm on Thursday the 3rd of September and noticed a swelling under my right armpit. It hurts if I press on it, and it is like a nagging pain all the way into my breast. I'm kind of worried because I have been itching in both of my arms and only up in the forearm area. I don't have any cuts or bad bruising. I am very concerned. Cancer is in my family on both sides, my mother's and my dad's.

Comment from: Grammi Kathy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

I awoke at 5 am with my neck and shoulders hurting really badly. I could not move my right arm away from my body any more than 12 inch. In addition I could not straighten out my right leg. I figured I must have slept wrong. As the day progressed my symptoms grew worse. My entire body hurt and I started running a 101.0 fever. All that happened yesterday. Today my body aches are better, although I still have extreme difficulty raising my right arm and my neck hurts. I now also have what I believe to be a swollen lymph gland located on and around my clavicle, on the left side of my body. It is very painful, any movement causes it to hurt. I have been having problems with several of my teeth (molars on the left side) and several days before all this started I had a terrible tooth ache. Living in a rural area it makes it difficult to get right in to a doctor. I do have several teeth that need to be pulled, but the dentist said let's hold off until we decided whether to have implants placed.

Comment from: Peggy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 12

The lymph node under my left arm has been swollen since August when I was diagnosed with atrial fibrillation. The atrial fibrillation is now under control but the pain still generates down the inside of my left arm from the armpit to almost the elbow. My doctor had me take a mammogram which came back normal, and manually checked my breasts and couldn't find anything. She has checked my lungs with the stethoscope and all sounds normal. I'm seeing a surgeon tomorrow to see if I need a biopsy of my lymph nodes.

Comment from: Jay, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I have had two types of cancer, colon and pancreatic. One third of my colon was removed in 2005 and I had Whipple surgery for the pancreatic cancer on 12/30/09. Now I have new lymph nodes developing attached to my renal artery. There is also a tumor growing very slowly in the body and tail of my pancreas. There is swelling in the new lymph nodes.

Comment from: gigi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I had/have swollen lymph nodes in my neck both sides to the armpit, it affected my hearing as well. I could not walk 10 feet without feeling like I ran 20 miles. I told my dad and he said it sounds like the mumps. I felt like it was meningitis and the mumps. I went to the emergency room and the doctor after a two minute exam said cat scratch fever. So now after months all this had started with parasites.

Comment from: DNJ4EVR, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 29

My husband had severe pain in his right groin. He then developed a fever that, in total, lasted 2 weeks, up and down along with night sweats. His fever would spike in the evening. Most days he could go to work, but felt awful. Almost immediately after the fever he developed a lump in his groin where the severe pain was located and it was getting worse. We then decided to go to the emergency room. They felt it was a swollen lymph node and viral and would take care of itself. Well, it did not subside and we decided to go to our family doctor who felt it was infection and put him on a strong antibiotic. This did nothing and he developed abdominal pain and vomiting which sent him to the emergency room again. They admitted him and did more testing as they couldn't find a cause. A team of oncologists figured it was either infectious or cancer and decided to remove the lymph. The surgeon said that the lymph node was a mess and just fell apart upon removal. He was in the hospital for 5 days and when the pathology report came back we found out that it was not cancer but was infectious and the results were almost conclusive of cat scratch disease. He did have a puncture wound from our kitten on his right foot that wouldn't heal, but we never linked the two together. He is feeling much better now and on the mend.

Swollen Lymph Nodes - Causes Question: What caused your swollen lymph nodes?
Swollen Lymph Nodes - Symptoms Question: In addition to swelling, what were the other symptoms of your swollen lymph nodes?
Swollen Lymph Nodes - Complications Question: What complications did you experience with swollen lymph nodes?