Patient Comments: Swollen Lymph Nodes - Diagnosis

Please describe your diagnosis of swollen lymph nodes.

Comment from: Catherine Brown, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

My lymph nodes or swollen, there is a big red ball under my left arm pit which is tender to touch.

Comment from: solomo, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 22

My shoulders are swollen and when touched they are round and painful and they cause headache. It has been a while now and I wonder what the problem could be. And I feel pain at the groin.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I have swollen lymph nodes on my neck and the nurse said it is because I am HIV positive though I have lived with the virus the past 8 years. I have been struggling with stress the past few months.

Comment from: Nuki, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 26

I am 26 and I had a partial thyroidectomy 11 years ago. Recently via ultrasound and biopsy I found out that that I got a new, very small sized nodule/goiter in the left thyroid gland (which was not operated). Doctors said it has a normal range, but required checkup. Now, all of a sudden I felt some small nodule like tissue under the right jaw of my neck. I got extremely worried, thinking that I might have gotten a second nodule now. However, I have been sick recently with cold, sore throat, coughing, running nose, even fever once. Then it struck me that it is possible that I might just have a swollen lymph due to my sickness.

Comment from: JenniferMom, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

Something positive in a sea of negative. I do not have lymphoma. Sigh! I have spent countless hours researching and playing Google doctor. I was certain I had lymphoma. I just found out a few hours back I did not have it. I have lots of cervical swollen lymph nodes, a few in my groin, and one that I can feel in my left armpit. The one in my neck was 1.2 cm when they took it out. The one is my armpit is close to that size. All others are enlarged but not considered abnormal. I have had blood work, CT scan with contrast (neck only), chest x-ray, and now I have had a lymph node biopsy (node removed from my neck). I now need to go down the path of what else could be causing this. My surgeon is in surgery today and my general doctor doesn't work Mondays, so hopefully tomorrow I learn what to do next. I will end up sharing my entire story when I know what it is, but for now I wanted to add another positive story into the sea of negative. I have had mononucleosis before in my adolescence. I am currently a 31 year old female. I am active and a fairly healthy eater. I have two kids, I am currently nursing my youngest, so I wonder if the biopsy was a false negative. If it's not cancer then why in the world do I have so many swollen nodes! I do not have any other symptoms. The lymph nodes do not hurt. I have been camping so the next thing I wonder for is Lyme disease, but no symptoms of similarity other than swollen nodes. Good luck to everyone!

Comment from: Peggy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 12

The lymph node under my left arm has been swollen since August when I was diagnosed with atrial fibrillation. The atrial fibrillation is now under control but the pain still generates down the inside of my left arm from the armpit to almost the elbow. My doctor had me take a mammogram which came back normal, and manually checked my breasts and couldn't find anything. She has checked my lungs with the stethoscope and all sounds normal. I'm seeing a surgeon tomorrow to see if I need a biopsy of my lymph nodes.

Comment from: Jay, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I have had two types of cancer, colon and pancreatic. One third of my colon was removed in 2005 and I had Whipple surgery for the pancreatic cancer on 12/30/09. Now I have new lymph nodes developing attached to my renal artery. There is also a tumor growing very slowly in the body and tail of my pancreas. There is swelling in the new lymph nodes.

Swollen Lymph Nodes - Causes Question: What caused your swollen lymph nodes?
Swollen Lymph Nodes - Symptoms Question: In addition to swelling, what were the other symptoms of your swollen lymph nodes?
Swollen Lymph Nodes - Complications Question: What complications did you experience with swollen lymph nodes?