Table of Contents
- Swollen ankles and swollen feet facts
- What causes swollen ankles and swollen feet?
- What causes swollen ankles and swollen feet? (Continued)
- Who is at risk for swollen ankles and swollen feet?
- Who is at risk for swollen ankles and swollen feet? (Continued)
- What are the symptoms of swollen ankles and swollen feet?
- What are the symptoms of swollen ankles and swollen feet? (Continued)
- How are swollen ankles and swollen feet diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for swollen feet and swollen ankles?
- What home remedies help soothe symptoms of swollen ankles or feet?
- What are the complications of swollen ankles and swollen feet?
- Can swollen ankles and swollen feet be prevented?
- What is the prognosis (outcome) for swollen feet and swollen ankles?
Quick GuideBurning or Swollen Feet? What Foot Pain Says About Your Health
How are swollen ankles and swollen feet diagnosed?
Clinical observation and examination is the way swollen feet and ankles are diagnosed. A health care professional will likely ask questions about the swelling to obtain specific information and gain insight into the underlying cause of the swelling; once the cause is determined, treatments can be designed to help the patient. Simple observation and a patient's verbal description of the swollen area may be enough to presumptively diagnose the cause. For example:
- a swollen ankle that the patient "twisted" a day ago is probably due a sprain;
- a swollen foot that is warm with reddish skin in a person with diabetes, with a small cut on the foot is likely caused by an infection;
- a bilateral foot and ankle swelling in a cardiac patient who did not take the prescribed diuretics is probably caused by a combination of dependent edema, poor fluid management and decreased cardiac function.
Laboratory tests are usually not used to diagnose feet and ankle swelling; however, they may be needed to be ordered in some patients to help diagnose underlying causes of the swelling.
American Pregnancy Association. Swelling During Pregnancy. April 1, 2014
Dumitru, I., et al. Heart Failure. Medscape. April 22, 2015
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Newsletters
Get the latest health and medical information delivered direct to your inbox!