Patient Comments: Swine Flu - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with swine flu?

Comment from: TwoTusker, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I have had swine flu for about a week now. The worst symptoms are extreme body aches, sinus pressure with crushing headaches, deep coughing, runny nose and no appetite. I'm hungry, but nothing sounds good and when I eat, everything tastes horrible. I eat anyway because I know I have to, but it isn't pleasant. Things that help: a humidifier to help congestion and cough, lots of Tylenol on hand to keep the fever and pain under control, a nasal rinse to clear the sinuses and lessen the headaches. Cold medicines help a little bit. If you know someone who is sick and alone, they would probably appreciate some help getting stuff from the store that they need. Going out isn't a good idea at all.

Comment from: Vixxen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I have had the swine flu now for 14 days. I have been admitted to hospital for a few days with Asthma/Bronchitis, phlegm cough, temperatures, exhaustion, frailty. I can honestly say I have never felt so terribly ill in all my life. I have been a chronic asthmatic since birth and have never been this desperately ill for such a long period. I was so relieved that I was diagnosed with the swine flu because up until the diagnosis I just thought I was dying....of something. I am now being treated with Tamiflu and other antibiotics, steroids and am forced to rest, rest, and rest. Hopefully I will feel better soon because this is awful.

Comment from: 35-44 Female Published: June 01

My swine flu started off with a fever and headache, aching all over, then stuffy nose, cough and fatigue. The coughing was so bad that I barely slept. About five days into it, I got pink eye in both eyes. About one week later, there was some vomiting. I missed a week and a half of work. I felt horrible; it was the sickest I've ever been. I don't think I ate much of anything for two weeks.

Comment from: ONTHEMEND, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

The first 24 hours I had severe vomiting, couldn't keep anything down, not even water, no hunger for four days whatsoever, severe diarrhea, low grade temperature, minor upper respiratory congestion, and sore throat. My main purpose was to keep fluids in me. I didn't want to dehydrate! Finally on sixth day beginning to eat soup and I am on the mend!

Comment from: Bee, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 02

The first day I felt as if a freight train ran over me: I had extreme fatigue. I went to a restaurant to get something to eat and fainted. The diarrhea and fever started that night. I was very sick for six days. The virus settled in my sinuses and my nervous system. I was a very healthy person, but the swine flu wiped me out! I struggled with anxiety afterward but am feeling better.

Comment from: Michael, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 15

I started off with feeling lazy no energy at all. Then a cough started and felt if my brain was trying to escape. Fever followed every 4 hours and dizziness when trying to walk. My whole body felt like a barbell got a hold of me.

Swine Flu - Concerns and Risks Question: Are you concerned about contracting swine flu? Has it affected your travel plans?
Swine Flu - Treatments Question: What treatments did you experience with your Swine Flu?