Patient Comments: Swine Flu - Concerns and Risks

Are you concerned about contracting swine flu? Has it affected your travel plans?

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

I am concerned about swine flu for the simple fact that I'm just one of those people who gets sick very easily. Other than that, I'm not too concerned. It wouldn't affect any travel plans I have, but I am more cautious around people who are sick. Also, I have been keeping extra antibacterial hand sanitizer on hand.

Comment from: kkhelp, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 04

I have this rash on my leg and it is scaring me, it itches and it is awfully painful. I have a VERY itchy eye and I feel like I have to vomit all the time. I have diarrhea really badly anything I eat is gone in a matter of hours. I feel tired all the time and I can't sleep! I feel achy and lazy. I hiccup or something like that and then I have vomit rush up my throat, but I don't throw up. My ear aches really badly and I have a headache all the time! I get the cold chills often. I feel tired and just run down after small activities. I live in Kansas with spreading numbers of swine flu, I don't know the symptoms of this flu, but my parents don't like going to doctors.

Comment from: alexp112459, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 30

My wife, daughter, and I went on vacation to California for two weeks. We started our trip on April 16, 2009 at Pier 35 in San Francisco. While there, we noticed the Star Princess cruise ship had just disembarked from a Mexican cruise. We did not know then about the swine flu cases and mingled with the cruise folks (about 3,100 people). After nine days from our trip, my wife and I have diarrhea, headaches, chills, sore throats, aching muscles, and runny noses. We live in Nevada and are going to visit our doctor today. Alex

Comment from: JL, 45-54 Female Published: April 28

I am traveling to Las Vegas this weekend and am worried. I don't know whether to wear a face mask on the plane or not. I'm taking a lot of sanitizing wipes and gel though, and I plan on wiping anything and everything I touch!

Comment from: kittyscratch, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

I live in Las Vegas which is traditionally a tourist town. I am VERY worried about contracting Swine Flu. Many people who live here also have terrible allergies, so it will be difficult to determine visually those with the flu, and those who simply have allergies.

Comment from: bacon, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I recently was feeling poorly with a sore throat for about two weeks, and usually it is my allergies. I just came back from Vegas from a conference and feel run down: sore throat, chills, severe muscle aches, fatigue, and nausea. Usually I am never ill, but my co- workers noticed that my game was off while I was away. I still feel bad after I returned to California. This has been going on for three weeks, which is highly unusual for me because I am very healthy and travel a great deal for work. I will see my doctor this week.

Comment from: minime, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 08

I think the "swine flu" is far overrated. Considering 33,000 people die every year from the regular flu. While I understand this is a new virus, there are antibiotics available to help treat this. Just like the regular flu, it's not curable. I understand the need for concern, but people are taking this way out of proportion.

Comment from: beachhouse, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 04

I have a severe sore throat and cough. I went to the Doctor yesterday and he prescribed the z pack. I am worse today and I am now throwing up.

Swine Flu - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with swine flu?
Swine Flu - Treatments Question: What treatments did you experience with your Swine Flu?