Patient Comments: Swine Flu - Concerns and Risks

Are you concerned about contracting swine flu? Has it affected your travel plans?

Comment from: cory shrimp, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: May 04

I think I have the swine flu, I have a cough, sore throat, some stuff coming up when I cough heavily, but I don't really feel tired or out of energy, but a little more than usual. I'm at school right now, and really just looked into the stuff, and now I'm kind of scared, because I've been coughing on people and I worry that I might be spreading it.

Comment from: NorCalBtty, Published: April 27

My brother has made plans to travel to Cozumel, and my mother is worried sick that he will catch swine flu while traveling in Mexico. Though he's not concerned about catching swine flu, she is. She wants him to cancel his trip.

Comment from: Jamerican, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I am concerned because I just returned from Jamaica and when we disembarked from the plane, another plane from Mexico City had just arrived before us. The immigration people were wearing masks and gloves, and we were not offered any to wear. I commented on the fact that they were wearing masks and was told that they didn't want to catch swine flu! What about me and my family?!

Comment from: barbie, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 01

Yes, swine flu has affected our travel plans. We were to leave for Canada today after six healthy months in Mexico, and now my husband has some type of influenza. He's been vomiting, had loose stools, and is lethargic.

Comment from: glenda1965, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 30

I believe my husband could have swine flu. He is in Mexico now and will try to fly home, if they don't catch him at the airports. I will bring him ASAP to be tested. We miss him and are ready for him to come home, but I'm afraid he will bring it back to all of us.

Comment from: Judy from Pittsburgh, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

I'm worried about swine flu. I'm from the Pittsburgh area. We went on vacation to Hawaii from April 13 to April 24. I was on three plane flights on the way there and three on the way back. I was fine when I left. On the way from Atlanta to L.A., I sat by a man who hacked the whole way. The next day, I woke up sick. I had severe congestion, a cough, shaking, chills, vomiting, and general malaise. I don't know if I had a fever (no thermometer). I took amoxicillin for 10 days and was almost better. When I got home I got worse -- no more vomiting, but I had diarrhea, headaches, a very sore throat, muscle aches, congestion, coughing, fatigue, but no fever. I went to Med-Express, and they gave Zithromax. This is the third day I've been on it, and I don't feel much better.

Comment from: kellysville, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

I had the swine flu and didn't know it. It started a few days before it became big news. I had all the symptoms and felt like I was going to die. I got through it and am wondering if I can get it again.

Comment from: A Little Nervous, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 27

I'm a little concerned about swine flu. My fiancé and I have a wedding coming up in a month, and we have a lot of family and friends traveling from all over the country to come in for it. Also, we will be traveling to Greece for our honeymoon. I definitely hope swine flu gets under control soon!

Published: May 04

I am really scared about the swine flu. I catch stuff real easy, my boyfriends sister is really sick. We don't know if she has the swine flu, but she has the symptoms. She called to ask for a ride to the hospital, but we didn't do it because we were really worried to be infected. I feel bad that we didn't take her, but this is scary stuff, someone else took her. Anyway I hope they find a cure soon.

Swine Flu - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with swine flu?
Swine Flu - Treatments Question: What treatments did you experience with your Swine Flu?