Patient Comments: Swine Flu - Concerns

Question:Are you concerned about contracting swine flu? Has it affected your travel plans?

Comment from: ARutan, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 04

My son was sent home from school on Friday with vomiting and a fever and a slightly sore throat. By 4pm his fever was up to 104.8 so we called the doctor and they had us bring him right in. They diagnosed him with strep throat even though his strep test came back negative. By the next day he was feeling better but I started feeling sick and by that afternoon my fever was up to 104.6. I had a runny nose, a slightly sore throat, chills and aches all over. We were going to go to the hospital if my fever reached 105 because I have a shunt in my spine and brain and have had a brain infection. By Sunday I was feeling a bit better and my fever was down to 102 in the am and by the afternoon it was down to 100. Today it is normal so far and I do feel better other then a headache (slight) and congestion. How long do the symptoms usually last?

Comment from: Liketoknow, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 04

My 3 year old grandson visited yesterday. He awoke from a nap and vomited. Today I feel nausea, diarrhea, and chills, and a slight headache. Should I call my doctor? I do not have a cough or fever. I live in Alabama. Could this be another virus, not swine flu?

Comment from: that_girl, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 04

I'm not overly concerned about swine flu but I am washing my hands more often, trying to minimize the amount of touching that I do, especially at school because there are so many people there who may be sick. I'm not travelling anywhere soon, but if I were going to travel I would refrain from travelling to Mexico and the southern U.S because of the high incidence of swine flu in that area.

Comment from: EMckelvey, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

I have had a virus consisting of fever no higher than 101, sore throat, earache, coughing violently, stuffed-up nose, nausea, and diarrhea (the diarrhea only lasted two days) for ten days now. I also lost voice my voice for two days and was hoarse for four days. Finally went to the Doctor on Tuesday. He gave me Z-pac and hydrocodone-Homatropine cough syrup. I am a little better today. How do I know I didn't have Swine flu? I haven't been to Mexico or around anyone that I know of that has had Swine flu.

Comment from: Acp, Female (Caregiver) Published: April 30

I know someone who is currently on a cruise to Mexico and the ship told the passengers that they refuse to go to Mexico because of the flu and they turned the boat around and went to the Florida Keys instead! People paid a lot of money to go to Mexico on a boat and instead had to go to Florida! A suggestion to those who are planning to go to Mexico on a cruise please call the ship to see if they are still planning on sailing to Mexico so you can possibly get a refund.

Comment from: yikes, Published: April 30

Over the past week I've had a sinus infection, slight fever and chills (at night), tired, sore throat with swollen glands, and now a "chronic" cough (bronchial). I am in Hawaii, but had a pilot friend and family visit from San Diego 1 1/2 weeks ago, who is also sick now. His family is fine, my family is fine. How do I know if this is/ is not swine flu? There doesn't seem to be any difference in the common flu symptoms and this.

Comment from: Vicspur, 45-54 Female Published: April 30

In 1976 when the first out brake of Swine Flu came out I was in grade school, I was very very sick with very high fevers, and the rest that goes with the swine flu. I was wondering can I get it again?

Comment from: sick Girl, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

I am sick, my muscles are sore, and my throat is sore, my nose is running, and I am scared. I'm not sure if I have the swine flu, but it is still scary. My mom told me to stay home, and I didn't go to school today. Help, if you know anything else about this swine flu, or the symptoms.

Comment from: cm, Published: April 27

I've been feeling sick, and I have most of the symptoms of the swine flu. I am worried.

Comment from: alibaba, Male Published: April 30

Isn't this so called epidemic nothing more then plain flu and people are overreacting. If this started in Mexico how can it be this wide spread?

Swine Flu - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with swine flu?
Swine Flu - Treatments Question: What treatments did you experience with your Swine Flu?