Patient Comments: Swallowing - Cause

What was the cause of your swallowing problems?

Comment from: Kazza69, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 04

I just searched on YouTube how to fix (most) costochondritis and Tietze's syndrome. There is a part 1 and part 2. I've had costochondritis for 5 years and am now pain free thanks to this guy, it is standard practice in New Zealand and seems to be a mystery condition elsewhere. I purchased the Backpod and have been amazed at the results. It has worked for me so just want to tell as many people as possible who have this awful, painful condition. Hope this helps.

Comment from: Difficulty swallowin, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: October 01

My dad has difficulty swallowing and they say it is cancer. I'm having a hard time with it. I'm so sad for him, he's been through misery and I'm tired of seeing him suffer.

Comment from: KristyF, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I have swallowing problems. I have self-determined it is acid reflux caused by coffee drinking.

Comment from: Christy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I believe my swallowing problems are from the use of albuterol for my asthma. It's been going on for about 4 months. I need to find a doctor to look into it. The endoscope saw nothing.

Comment from: Deepwater, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 19

I have had bad enough swallowing problems where food was sticking even in my voice box... only able to make squeaking noises and gasping for air. Finally I got three upper endoscopies which enlarged my esophagus and solved the problem.

Comment from: tallfunnygirl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

Lately when eating (not always, but intermittently), I seem to choke on my food. I am not taking large bites or trying to swallow without chewing. It has happened often enough that it has me concerned. It's embarrassing. I've also noticed and have been monitoring my BP as my diastolic has been running in the 50s lately which is highly abnormal given that I've been hypertensive for years. I have episodes of syncope and have spent a week in the cardiac unit with no significant results. I wonder of all this could be related.

Comment from: Ernie J, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

My swallowing problems started after lung surgery. The breathing tube was left in for a full 24 hours. I woke up several times and asked (in writing) that it be removed. The next morning, it was removed and I have been experiencing difficulty in swallowing ever since.

Comment from: Velvetss24, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

Over the last ten years I have been having problems while eating. It happened very infrequently at first but as of late it is happening several times a week. It begins with difficulty swallowing followed by an inability to catch my breath. I begin to have symptoms of hiccups, but still have a hard time catching my breath. Then my mouth fills up with saliva and I have to vomit. The food is stuck in my throat where an Adams apple would be if I were a man. I have tried to narrow it down to a type of food, thinking maybe I am having an allergic reaction to something but it is not just one food and it is not all of the time. I thought it was nerves, but I really don't have anything to be nervous about. I have had several test in the past drinking a milky substance. This is very embarrassing to run out of the room gasping for air and holding in the vomit not to mention puking in restaurant bathrooms.

Dysphagia - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with dysphagia (difficulty swallowing).
Dysphagia - Symptoms Question: Besides difficulty in swallowing, what other symptoms did you experience with dysphagia?
Dysphagia - Treatment Question: What forms of treatment did you receive for dysphagia (difficulty swallowing)? Did you require a feeding tube?