Patient Comments: Swallowing - Cause

What was the cause of your swallowing problems?

Comment from: Ernie J, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

My swallowing problems started after lung surgery. The breathing tube was left in for a full 24 hours. I woke up several times and asked (in writing) that it be removed. The next morning, it was removed and I have been experiencing difficulty in swallowing ever since.

Comment from: Velvetss24, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

Over the last ten years I have been having problems while eating. It happened very infrequently at first but as of late it is happening several times a week. It begins with difficulty swallowing followed by an inability to catch my breath. I begin to have symptoms of hiccups, but still have a hard time catching my breath. Then my mouth fills up with saliva and I have to vomit. The food is stuck in my throat where an Adams apple would be if I were a man. I have tried to narrow it down to a type of food, thinking maybe I am having an allergic reaction to something but it is not just one food and it is not all of the time. I thought it was nerves, but I really don't have anything to be nervous about. I have had several test in the past drinking a milky substance. This is very embarrassing to run out of the room gasping for air and holding in the vomit not to mention puking in restaurant bathrooms.

Comment from: glen, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 27

Within the past year I have been having problems while eating. It happened very infrequently at first but as of late it is happening several times a week. It begins with difficulty swallowing followed by an inability to catch my breath. I begin to have symptoms of hiccups, but still no way to catch my breath. The only thing that I can do to alleviate the problem is to vomit even just a little bit. Maybe someone can relate to this. It is very embarrassing to run out of the room gasping.

Comment from: moses Baloyi, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: September 17

I have a difficulty swallowing solid food and my back is always in pain. I usually had swallowing problems since I was young then O became well as time went by. Then it started this year again.

Comment from: TBone, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 08

I have swallowing problems when I am very hungry. This is exacerbated by tiredness. It typically manifests itself as hiccups, and then it soon passes (i.e. the food goes down), and rarely I vomit. I have found that eating regular meals is the best remedy for my case. I try to have four (smaller) meals throughout the day. Friends of mine in the medical profession (PAs and doctors who have not formally diagnosed me) have speculated, given the above information, that my "condition" is likely related to low blood sugar. This first happened to me while very hungry in a high-stress situation (while backpacking in Bulgaria) when I was 22 years old.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

Six weeks after having a level 4-5 cervical fusion I was diagnosed with dysphagia. My symptoms were first dismissed as anxiety but after losing 15 pounds because I kept choking on my food I had a video swallow exam. I will be working with a speech therapist.

Comment from: LA Dave, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 10

My dysphasia was caused by intensive radiation to treat base of tongue cancer. I have been cancer free for almost two years and have undergone deep tissue stimulation without success.

Comment from: 65-74 Female Published: May 10

I fell in November 2010. Among other hurts, it felt like I pulled a muscle in my chest right under my left breast. Since then, a lot of times when I eat, it feels like it is stuck in my throat. Even when I drink, it feels like the food is still there. And sometimes when I sit bending over in a chair my chest hurts.

Dysphagia - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with dysphagia (difficulty swallowing).
Dysphagia - Symptoms Question: Besides difficulty in swallowing, what other symptoms did you experience with dysphagia?
Dysphagia - Treatment Question: What forms of treatment did you receive for dysphagia (difficulty swallowing)? Did you require a feeding tube?